I need help... is our chook a girl or boy!!

caacsmith

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
Hi I know nothing about chickens...... we found this silkie bantam in Jan 2013. have taken it to the vet who said it was female and an older chook , she has not layed an egg! The last few weeks she has been crowing :( only in the morning and not every day, I'm a little confused as to how old she is and what sex she is. The first photo is of when we first found her and the other 2 taken yesterday... she has almost doubled in size since Jan. Thanks for your help.

Do you have any other chickens with her? Is she a lone chicken?

Hens have been known to crow. Sometimes being away from the rest of the flock can cause this. Sometimes crowing hens will do this because there is no rooster around. The crow is not usually as full as a roosters in the type of chicken.

it is a lone chicken at the moment, we rescued it off a the road. Want more chickens but cant have roosters in the suburbs. It isn't a full crow but it is really loud :( Thanks for your reply.

Rockerhen thanks for the bad news... i sort of was expecting it. Just rather confused as to why the vet (who was suppose to know heaps about chickens) & another silkie owner said it was a Hen! Do rooster sit on a perch or in a nest as this one makes a nest and sits in it too and acts really broody! Thanks for your reply.

Rockerhen thanks for the bad news... i sort of was expecting it. Just rather confused as to why the vet (who was suppose to know heaps about chickens) & another silkie owner said it was a Hen! Do rooster sit on a perch or in a nest as this one makes a nest and sits in it too and acts really broody! Thanks for your reply.
Silkies can be tricky to sex, especially to people used to other 'normal' types of chickens. However, those skinny, pointy feathers coming out of his crest (called streamers), giving him a 'spiked' look to his 'do, is a trait only roosters have. Hens have smoother, poofier crests with no streamers (my profile pic, for example). His large comb, wattles, and earlobes are some other indicators. To me, he still looks rather young. As to the nest, yes, my silkies, hens and roosters, do that. Silkies have a lot of trouble flying and perching on roosts (due to their shredded feathers) , so they prefer to sleep on the ground or in nests. My silkies all sleep in a dogloo dog house in a big fluffy heap
smile.png
Sometimes my roosters will even prepare a nest for their hens before they lay.

Silkies can be tricky to sex, especially to people used to other 'normal' types of chickens. However, those skinny, pointy feathers coming out of his crest (called streamers), giving him a 'spiked' look to his 'do, is a trait only roosters have. Hens have smoother, poofier crests with no streamers (my profile pic, for example). His large comb, wattles, and earlobes are some other indicators. To me, he still looks rather young. As to the nest, yes, my silkies, hens and roosters, do that. Silkies have a lot of trouble flying and perching on roosts (due to their shredded feathers) , so they prefer to sleep on the ground or in nests. My silkies all sleep in a dogloo dog house in a big fluffy heap
smile.png
Sometimes my roosters will even prepare a nest for their hens before they lay.
Thanks for the info, yes I think he is still young too as he definitely didnt have the streamers before and his wattle and comb have just become prominent the last few weeks since he started crowing!! Pity as he is such a friendly little man. Not knowing anything about chickens before I have enjoyed learning about them & finding so many others who do have backyard chooks! Sad we must give Sparkle away, looking forward to getting some laying chooks to join the family! Silkies are a cute breed of chicken would like to get another but will be doing more research on what other chickens are out there. thanks for your help.

I guess the vet was assuming the chick was older than it was...thusly thought it was a she, that has grown into a he...
My silkie rooster had a pitiful crow as well...I mean it was cute, but not terrible rooster-y...

Back
Top Bottom