I need help like now!!

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I went out to check on the chickens and one was laying down and kept blinking her eyes. I know that sometimes chickens do this but when I went in and everyone came running and she didn't I knew something was wrong. Especially when I reached right over and picker her up, no problems. Well her crop felt large and round and I went to massage it and clear fluid started to pour out of her mouth and I mean I barely put any pressure on her chest. I don't know what to do.
Yesterday I found that I had forgotten to remove the cap to the waterer which would allow the water to pour out so they were without water. When I fixed it they all went to drinking like mad. Yes, I know my stupid fault. But I wonder if she could have overdrank to compensate and now... well I don't know. I just wondered if that could have something to do with it. I would think that I would need to get all of that out of there but I have heard that you can drown them if you aren't careful. I just need some expert advice on what to do. Please please help me out.

well when she drank a lot was last night. Today she was sitting onthe ground and when I picked her up and massaged it poured out. So she has had more than ten hours since she drank like that. But of course she was sitting by the waterer when I saw her so she could have guzzled even more since then. DO you think I should be concerned?

is she eating at all? responsive to you? have you had hot temps lately? i had a hen do the laying around last year, brought her in bathed her to get her cooler, and she pulled out of it-

Yes it is hotter lately here. I don't know what you mean by is she responsive. I would say no because when the other chickens got up and came to see me she still just layed there.

ok, what i would do is bring her in, that way you can watch her, see if she is eating and pooping normally, either put her in the tub, with a towel,( works for an emergency isolation area), or a dog crate- offer her some scrambled eggs and see if she is interested in food at all, it will help to help her relax, by responsive, i mean are her eys focusing on you, is she aware of where she is? - i'll be back on in a bit and see how she is

Do you have any ACV? She might have sour crop. I would do a search and see what the recommendations of sour crop are. Bring her in and put her in a cool dark room.

Back
Top Bottom