1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help...MORE trouble !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hobbley_Farm, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I'm sure This has been covered to death but I can't seem to find the right keyword to do a search for my particular problem.

My chick pipped last night
    at bed time there was a hole about the size of a quarter.
    Now since 530 am she has been HALF out of the shell. She hasn't seemed to have made any progress. It's nearly 2pm now. Is this NORMAL? Is she stuck to the shell? What would YOU do?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Pop her out. She probably is kinda stuck to the shell. They say not to help the chicks out, but I have done this several times without too much trouble. Just make sure the membrane isn't bleeding. If so, she's not ready to come out yet. She really should be ready to pop out though. I say go for it.

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Yes even though I am new at this I would get it out of there. I had one last week I had to get out of shell..was a little lame and tired but it perked up in couple days and is doing wonders now..survived too.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Have you opened the bator a lot ? Whats your hum at ?

Can you see if her yolk sac is absorbed ?

If you could post a pic that would be good !!

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    If the chick is half out...like the top is gone...I say help it...sounds like the humidity might be a little low or the chick took a little too long of a rest at some point and the shell dried to it...be careful the little feathers will be stuck to it and you can rip them out and tear the skin...yup did it [​IMG] ...best of luck

6. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    OK. No pictures. My camera is a pain to take pics then upload then move to photobucket...blablabla. It appears the shell did dry on the poor thing. I was able to help it get both it's feet out. But I was too worried about just completely unwrapping it, so to speak. So it's kind of like a book bag on the back of the bird. I have the bird in a HUGE mixing bowl, with a heating pad inside, with two towels inside. She has quieted down since I have done this. I think she's more comfortable now. As she is able to rest, I will try to let her do the final stages. I don't have anything to check the humidity. Not yet. I might have to order one because I can't find them anywhere I have looked. But again, she SEEMS to be doing ok at this point. The learning curve gets really sharp at times, huh?

7. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Just now my juvenile cat jumped up and grabbed the chic. My cat pulled the sack from the chic and now the chic looks like what might be a hernia. I don't know if it is or not. It just has something hanging on the outside that looks like it should be on the inside. What do I do now?

8. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    First, beat the cat. Mine know not to even come close to the chicks.

Second, where is it hanging from? Sometimes they stay attached to the little bit of remaining yolk sack for awhile. It tends to hang from down near their bum. Is it attached by a bit of a cord, maybe red or bloody looking?

If that's it I would just let it rest warm and dry. Even if it is a hernia you will probably want to wait until she's more stable to do anything.

9. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    It's right where the vent is on my pullets and hens. It's not all blooddy or anything. I'm shaking because I just hit a deer with my car. This after this morning having found a half dead chick in the brooder and then taking my moms ferret to the vet to be put to sleep. I'm drinking a stiff one right now, I have to tell ya! If it IS a hernia, what is there to be done? This is just a mixed breed chick from my hens. It's not a show chicken worth thousands. If it's a hernia, would it live a normal life? Or would it die eventually. I've had to see so much today, I would rather this little chick not suffer. But I don't want to put it down if it can still live a happy life. I would just rehome it to so someone who can care for it. Advice is appreciated

10. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:There was a kinda scrambled egg stringy looking blobby thing hanging out of one of mine for a little while.......It eventually came off(maybe after an hour or so). Kinda grayish/yellow/tan in color. Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by