I need help motifying a dog run into coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicamama, Mar 12, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Hello,
    I have an (approx) and 6 x 8 dog run with a chain link top. I learned today that my 1 month old chicks can fit through the chain link [​IMG] (BIG DUH on my part). For now they are confined to a covered cage within the run, but I would love any tips you have to motify?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TIA!

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Could you put a 24" inch high band of small chickenwire around the sides just at the bottom and attach with plastic ties?

3. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Quote:Is 24" high enough? I sure can. I'm guessing once tey are bigger they will not be able to slip through the chain link? (I hope?).

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Lining the dog run with chicken wire sounds like a great idea to me. Make sure the chicken can not jump into the water source and drown. Not sure if that one can was a feeder or a waterer, but if it is for water, put a top on it so chicks can not jump on top of edge and accidentally fall in. Even in shallow pans I put rocks or something for them to climb on and get out in case they fall in. [​IMG]

5. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Quote:Yes, good point. The water can has the top. The open one is feed.

6. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Chicken wire will probably do the job. I did the same thing here & put tin all the way around the outside & wired it to the kennel so they couldn't get out. I've had chicks of all sizes 5 wks + in there since w/little problems. I'd say the tin is about 24" too.
    Kristi

7. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have two of these and I used chicken wire around the bottom half or so.
    Chris

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicken wire around the bottom will help with them not getting out and help prevent predators like coons from reaching in and pulling them out.

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have been using the PVC netting. It is more expensive it is such a breeze to work with. Old sissors cut it and you don't get scratched like you do with chicken wire. They have several types, Lowes and HD carry different ones. The one I like best comes 40" wide and I cut down the middle to line the botton of my wire fencing so babies don't escape.

10. dakinsmimi

dakinsmimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    I used the same thing. Put chicken wire around all the sides and across the door (leave this part low enough you can step over it). Also lined the floor with chicken wire so nothing could dig in. Attached all the wire to the run with cable ties. Also attached the floor wiring together with cable ties. I've only had 1 or 2 chicks escape and that was them flying and landing on the dog kennel above the chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by