I Need Help Now Please!

Quote:
I dissagree about the bandage. They all seem to heal better with the wounds open to the air. As long as flies don`t blow her, and they shouldn`t this time of year, leave it open and don`t go crazy medicating every day......Pop

I would put her down if it were me, if the bone is all that is left on the neck.

I am so sorry you and she are going through this. If you do decide to help her, aspirin can be given to chickens. Here is the link:
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Please note that grains is different from mg.

It says 325 mg per gallon of water. BYC has some incorrect posts regarding this, so be aware (I am not referring to any posts on this thread).

I like the others' advice, too, since I am not there to see the wound in person. Maybe it WILL heal as others have said. You just have to go with your gut.

Last edited:
Quote:
I dissagree about the bandage. They all seem to heal better with the wounds open to the air. As long as flies don`t blow her, and they shouldn`t this time of year, leave it open and don`t go crazy medicating every day......Pop

I would agree/will agree once the wound starts to granulate but it needs to be kept moist right now, and uncovered it will dry out. Or stuff will stick to the neosporin and contaminate it. If she uses the hydrogel on the wounds, it will keep it medicated and moist- but gotta keep the hen from scratching it off.

This link shows what I am trying to describe- not the tube form, the dressing:

http://www.medicaldepartmentstore.com/Restore-Hydrogel-3-oz-tube-p/hol529974.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and advice. I went and got what I needed to help her, but she didn't make it... As soon as I started to treat her, she started to spasm and passed.

I am so sad and upset about it. I feel like its all my fault cuz I didn't notice the gate was comprimised. I will be sure to make sure its never again, and that my boys know the improtance of leaving things how I put them.

Quote:
I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Many on here have experienced that horrible feeling of endangering a chicken by mistake, including me. Just move on and give yourself a hug.

Your little chicken is in a better place (free from pain now).

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry.....but next time with wounds like that.....put it down......sorry there was no reason to let that hen suffer all those hours'

I agree chicken can recover from minor wounds nothing like that.....I'm surprise of all those that said treat her.

I have stitch tears in the skin and so far.........but i could tell by those pics no way that hen was going to make it without major help like a vet.

again SORRY YOU LOST HER......

Last edited:
deerman, first off it was not hours. It was not more than an hour. I did try and get my vet while going to the pharmacy. He gave me the same advice as to help her, and if she made it thru the nite he'd see her in the morning. But he'd only be able to do what I set out to do. I took all advice seriously, and people said they'd seen worse and have their chicken survive. I just wanted to give her a chance. But thank you also, because I am sure you know more than I since this is my first time with chickens, and you're advice is just as much appreciated as well, and next time something like this happens which I hope itdoes not, I may be quicker to end the suffering than prolong it in my attempt to save.

Quote:
Different experiences in life, deerman. I could recount several experiences I`ve had with wounds that were similar or looked worse, where the bird recovered. I have to admit that all these experiences involved gamefowl, which seem to be a LOT harder to kill than regular barnyard fare. Sorry it didn`t work out for you NovaAman.......Pop

Quote:
Didn't mean to be harsh........I know its never easy to put one down, Guess with wound like that its hard for some to see how bad it is with pics.

Talking with a vet was the right thing.....myself I don't take any to a Vet. I have also treated many wounds ,and with time you will learn which wound are to bad. I have stitch skin back together, that may sound cruel...but no more than giving ones shots.

I understand you trying to save her, other did give you hope. I rarely tell people to put a bird down. tear in the skin are easy treatable. You do need to learn, so the best way is to try and save them.

Sorry , wish you the best with all your chicken. Sad thing but with keeping chicken thing do happen....you did do alot of thing right, looking for advice was one.

Back
Top Bottom