I need help picking what bird I should/want to have!

Thats like every day of the swedish winter where I live, Im gonna have a portable coop so I can probaby slide it in under some trees or into my shed to keep the snow of them at least. Do hens dig themself down into wood shavings when it gets abit cold?

They will snuggle together if their cold. If you get cold hardy breeds they will be fine. If you're worried you can heat the coop. The two concerns with heating is fire and power outage. Fire is obvious. Power outage is a problem because if you've been keeping them warm they won't be used to the cold. If you suddenly lose power and therefore heat they can freeze.

Since in you are in sweden i would look there first thats where they originated from and your best bet for quality chickens. I never bought any of my sfh from a hatchery as i wanted the best i could find i drove almost 6hrs one way for two pullets one time.

As for their personality mine would come to me, eat out of my hand but i never do the lap stuff just isnt me but im sure with time they would do so. As for laying mine took awhile 26-30weeks but after that each of them laid an egg every day for years until winter then slacked off to 3-4 a week.

I actually kept one of my splashes as she is a great broody and raised three clutches this year her self so i kept her and got rid of the rest i didn't make a killing off of them but my birds were the best blood i could find and got my money back atleast. Hated to see them go but focusing on my gamefowl.

Heres a photo of mine during last winter. I live in the mountains of NC so gets cold and does snow pretty good 2-4 times a year and they done great for 3+years and as far as heating the water bowls meh thats up to you but i use rubber bowls with ping pong balls in em it keeps them from icing over to much. All and all you will enjoy them.

400.jpg

Since in you are in sweden i would look there first thats where they originated from and your best bet for quality chickens. I never bought any of my sfh from a hatchery as i wanted the best i could find i drove almost 6hrs one way for two pullets one time.

As for their personality mine would come to me, eat out of my hand but i never do the lap stuff just isnt me but im sure with time they would do so. As for laying mine took awhile 26-30weeks but after that each of them laid an egg every day for years until winter then slacked off to 3-4 a week.

View attachment 1137909

WHAT!?! 26-30 weeks. I can't wait that long! I'm already busting to see their eggs. LOL

If you don't want to wait that long, look for started pullets (young hens). I live in deep Alabama so can't vouch for how they handle the winter but my favorite all around is the Barred Rock. Pea combed varieties tend to have less problem with frost bite on their wattles and combs. Another thread that might be helpful is the Alaska thread. They definitely deal with cold.

WHAT!?! 26-30 weeks. I can't wait that long! I'm already busting to see their eggs. LOL

Yeah haha im sure some are sooner but mine were slow maturers nothing compared to jubile orps though.

To the OP my Welsummers did good in the winter i really liked those too so thats an option or a real heritage RIR rose comb but anything with a straight comb will need more tlc in winter times but with a sfh i never had a big issue out of my roos combs mine weren't massive but were straight and not flopy also ya never what you will get color wise you may get close but its a broad range.

Yeah, Im looking into getting like Bjurholm right now. Google them, they have a really interesting history. And they are pretty small and grew up in kinda 4/6 north in sweden(dalarna) so their breed is kinda resistant to cold

Back
Top Bottom