I need help picking what bird I should/want to have!

Erik Fobo

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2017
Hi, Im trying to get into backyard chicken cooping and Ive gotten a budget and I've thought of a coop. The only thing I need now is to choose what kind of a bird Im going to have. I think Im going to need help to choose what kind I should have.

I need a bird that can take some cold, be quiet and tame, be a good egglayer. It would be great if it would be quite small and light. Im only going to have then for eggs and for them to be my pets. Ive looked into getting brahmas but I think them may be to heavy and big.

Btw Im only going to get 3 chicks, and I live in sweden so it would be good if they were quite common.

Thank you! //Erik

Hi, Im trying to get into backyard chicken cooping and Ive gotten a budget and I've thought of a coop. The only thing I need now is to choose what kind of a bird Im going to have. I think Im going to need help to choose what kind I should have.

I need a bird that can take some cold, be quiet and tame, be a good egglayer. It would be great if it would be quite small and light. Im only going to have then for eggs and for them to be my pets. Ive looked into getting brahmas but I think them may be to heavy and big.

Btw Im only going to get 3 chicks, and I live in sweden so it would be good if they were quite common.

Thank you! //Erik
Oh and yes, Brahmas are huge. Their breed nickname is "King of the Chickens" and it never lies. They are massive birds. Trust me. I have one and she is so friendly but huge. I have a Mille Fleur d'Uccle hen and I heard that they are cold tolerant and very friendly.

I may have to spend alittle extra and buy my chicks online. I just wonder if sites like mypetchicken would ship to sweden and the chickens would be alive wheb they come to me.

Resized_20170828_155638.jpeg

I love my Swedish Flowers! They are beautiful and curious. So far mine aren't lap chickens but they don't run from me terrified either. They are yet to lay so not sure on eggs but I'm happy with them.

And I wonderd if it would be enough for me to have just a heating plate that im gonna have for the water so it doesnt freeze during the to keep the coop where they sleep hot enough during the winter nights. Im gonna have vents for the coop that I can open and close for when its cold and hot.

Back
Top Bottom