I need help please..... dog attack ...update: She didn't make it!

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
I am totally stressing right now, and I really don't need any negative feedback, so please if you don't have anything postive to say then just don't say it. I know what has happened here is partially my faullt, I don't need anybody pointing fingers!!

I have 2 silkie x silver spangled hamburg chicks. Well I had let them out today so that they good eat, scratch and spread there wings. I have been letting them out the last couple of day's with no problem's. So all was fine I was coming and going all day today. I left and went to the bus stop, came home and my son said "mama, Sassy has a chick in her mouth"
barnie.gif
I go running into the back yard and I can't find them.... she had ran behind the rabbit cage and was still eating this chick
hit.gif
Keep in mind that sassy is old and that she is hard of hearing now, so no matter how hard I screamed she didn't hear me. I got sassy, and put her away and my son grabbed the chick. Well, she didn't kill her. She had started eating her at her "knee" on her right leg
hit.gif
I know that the leg is shattered..... What do I need to do? do I amputate? Is there any chance that she can live with just one leg. I have put her inside and cleaned the wound up and put antibotic ointment on it. I am started anitbotics in her water now. I also tried to make some sort of sling with an old pair of panty hose. I am so upset right now. Please any advice will be appreciated.

Edited because some people like to blow stuff out of preportion.

Last edited:
How awful. Poor you and poor chick.

I don't have much advice, maybe even more questions.

Wonder if you could make a splint with a stick and secure it to the leg? I know this would keep the leg straight and the chick would be able to sit correctly.

I would think, that without a rooster, a hen could live ok with one leg.

so sorry for your situation!!!

I have a 3 year old one legged chicken. Chickens can live with one leg.

But your baby basically had a leg amputated in a very non-sterile way. Were she a human she would get IV antibiotics. If you have access to antibiotics for birds and can figure out the dosage, her chances will be better.

Is baby eating and drinking? Were there other injuries other than her leg? If she seems week try giving sugar water, and/or water with vitamins and electrolytes.

so hard to deal with animals who like to kill, but that is their instinct. not your fault that the dog got her, accidents happen so go easy on yourself, and the doggie too - she's just being a dog, unfortunately.

Good luck, I hope she makes it. By the way, my one legged chicken is named "Special Edna".

I have a goose that has lived with a broken leg for several years now. We couldn't catch him to do anything to it and it healed back crooked and he limps but seems to do quite well.

I'm sooo sorry
hugs.gif

Unfortunately these things happen. Hopefully the leg isn't as bad as you think it is.
Maybe give it a few days and see how she is. I've never heard of a chicken with one
leg, not sure how her quality of life would be. Hopefully someone will come along
with some great advice for you but this may be one of the situations where you're
just gonna have to go with your gut and do what you think is the best for her.

Thanks everybody....

She is actually about 9 weeks old. She acting fine. I know she has to be in pain, but other wise she is doing ok. I do have her leg splinted, sort of. I took an old pair of panty hose and put it around her and the leg where it would keep the leg up against her body and she can sit normally. The only other injury I have found is the skin on her belly is ripped, but not to bad. I can handle that. It is the leg that is upseting me so bad. I know it is broken, no doubt..... it fills like sandpaper when you move it, so I can only assume that is bone. I don't mind having a 1 legged chicken. I will love her just the same. I have named her "sweetpea".

Cobrien...... I know it is her instinct. I blame myself more than I do her. I am just upset.... I still love her though.

sorry for your chick..................

3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's an avian vet in your area, I'd give them a call and ask for a phone consultation. S/he may have some advice, or even be willing to see/treat this poor chick.

hugs.gif

I thought I ask you to keep your negative comments to your self....

I said that she is hard of hearing.... Not deaf. She can still hear. When she wants to. If I ask her if she is hungry, she goes straight to her bowl....If I ask her if she needs to go potty, she goes to the door.... She can still hear. She is by no means "helpless" .
Sassy is in the house and she will be fed and takin care of, Like I alway's
do. I take very good care of my animals. I do not beat my animals. I did however punish her for doing wrong. I know it may be her instinct, but she has to know that what she done was wrong.

What reason do you or any one else have for calling the ASPCA?? My animals are not neglacted or mistreated in anyway. They have food, water and shelter....so go ahead and call. I will greet them at the door with a smile!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom