I need help please! My eggs are hatching and I dont know what to do.

erma2

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
I will first say that I know nothing about hatching eggs. I assumed that it would just kind of do its thing and happen on its own. But now I am worried.

Today is day 19. I do not have an incubator, but a chicken sitting on 2 eggs. I went to check on her and collect the other eggs when I found a completely hatched baby chick under her. The other egg has a a tiny crack and I can hear it peeping. I did pick it up before I noticed what was was happening. Its been about 4 or 5 hours since I noticed the crack in the unhatched egg. The size has stayed the same. Should I be concerned that she hasnt made it bigger or started to unzip the rest of the shell. Im just afraid she is going to die.

Also, the hen started to peck at the first chick. She was pecking its head and stepping on it. I took it away from her, because I was afraid that the hen would kill it. She was not being gentle...really pecking hard. The other chicken were also trying to get in the nest box as soon as they saw the chick. I have it under a heat lamp. I know that chicks do not need food or water for the first day or so....is there anything else I can do? What are signs that the chick could be in trouble?

Any suggestions on either the egg or chick would be helpful. I dont know what to expect or if I should be doing anything. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
First it is not unusual for it to take 24 hours for an egg to hatch after they Pip. you just have to wait. the chick will need some water and you have to dip its beak to teach it to drink. chicks will drown themselves given the chance so put some stones or marbles in the waterer .

Should I give it water now? It can stand up, but wobbles when it tried to walk. I have it in a brooder with a high watt heat lamp. I figured it was prob. best to just leave it alone for now.

still no progress on egg 2. I hear peeping still, so I figure thats a good sign. Man, I didnt realize this would be so stressful.

Quote:
Oh yeah, it is stressful for sure!!! Hang in there. You are doing good by the first chick. You could go ahead and put a small lid or something with some chicken crumbles in there along with the water that muddyhorse suggested. The temperature under the light should be 95-100 F, and there should be enough room that the chick can get away from the light if it needs to. Also make sure it is not on a slippery surface so it doesn't get spraddle leg.

I had a chick pip at 4:30 pm and not hatch until the next morning. I think they can take up to 24hrs to hatch. There's a sticky at the top of this topic about how to help them if you want to, but many folks think it's better to let nature take it's course. Hang in there!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom