I need help please!!!!

cowboy cole

Hatching
Jan 12, 2016
I have 3 chickens and I put 2 more in the coop with them, then they all laid 1 day then for the next couple of weeks only one will lay what can I do?? Thanks, cowboy Cole!

Hello and :welcome
W are glad you joined us!

Well their egg production could be decreasing because of the season and weather, this time of the year chickens tend to slow down in egg production. Or it could be their age. If they are 2 years and older chickens egg production tend to slowly go down hill. Also they could be stressed out by something if these aren't the causes. What is your flock like?

Hi, Cole, welcome to BYC. Chickens hate change. When birds are moved they will lay the first day or two - eggs that are already in the reproductive tract. Then they will stop for a while. The introduction of the new birds has caused turmoil in the pecking order causing the original hens to also take a break. Day length is starting to increase and so will their egg production. Patience.

Hi :welcome Cole

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with sour that the most likely cause is adding the new hens. It will have upset the apple cart so to speak. If there is a lot of bickering with the new ones this has more than likely caused stress to them all. With time and when they have sorted a new pecking order out they should come back into lay.

Good luck with your new birds, I hope you have harmony soon.
Enjoy BYC :frow

Sour gave you good information. Welcome to Backyard chickens. I am sure the flock will be back in order as the days are getting longer.

welcome-byc.gif

There's an excellent article in the Learning Center on integrating new birds into an existing flock:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

You might find the information helpful when/if you add future birds.

Thanks for joining us!

:welcome

There's an excellent article in the Learning Center on integrating new birds into an existing flock:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

You might find the information helpful when/if you add future birds.

Thanks for joining us!
Well I recently got a new chicken. Read that article and now I'm just completely freaked out! I probably broke every rule listed...twice! She's been with them for 6 days now.

Well I recently got a new chicken. Read that article and now I'm just completely freaked out! I probably broke every rule listed...twice! She's been with them for 6 days now.

It's ok BB, don't freak out! The article is meant to be helpful and warn of the pitfalls associated with adding new chickens and the changes in behavior that can happen. Integration is a touchy process and if someone hasn't had chickens long, it can be a stressful time for both the owner and the birds.

I will say, using the "look but don't touch" method of integrating has worked very well for me and that's one of the reasons I like to refer people to that article.

It's ok BB, don't freak out! The article is meant to be helpful and warn of the pitfalls associated with adding new chickens and the changes in behavior that can happen. Integration is a touchy process and if someone hasn't had chickens long, it can be a stressful time for both the owner and the birds.

I will say, using the "look but don't touch" method of integrating has worked very well for me and that's one of the reasons I like to refer people to that article.
I appreciated the article being posted. I have brought in a new adult bird twice now. The article made me decide NOT to press my luck again. I'm sure it was particularly dangerous to bring in an unknown Humane Society chicken. I did the look don't touch for 5 days and now she has integrated just fine. But from now on I'll do chicks only. I have healthy chickens and I want to keep it that way! We clean their coop spotless everyday...you could go in there and sit on their floor!

***Sorry for hijacking the thread...I'll stop now!
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom