I need help sexing these Partridge Orps ASAP

Oh the neighbor will complain alright. Last year my first crowed at 5 weeks. The neighbor blew it so out of proportion that he tried to make the case that he couldn’t sleep or work from home and his mental health was on the line, all because of the pathetic croak of a 5-week-old chick the size of a pigeon. He got the town involved and everything. So this isn’t about what a young chick’s attempted crows ACTUALLY sound like. This is about the guy looking for an excuse to wage war on me - something I would very much like to avoid. Last year was enough.

Last edited:
If you’re neighbour was a rooster I would send him to freezer camp.

:duc

In other words. I’m so sorry for you to have such a neighbour. :hugs But please don’t panic beforehand. Time will tel. And you can wait a bit more until its clear what gender all you’re chicks are. Just keep in mind that any normal cockerel doesn’t cry out loud until he’s 10 weeks old. And not before showing any other clear signs of his gender.
The town bullies have to acknowledge that too if it would ever get nasty (very small chance imho).

Ever thought of moving to another chicken friendlier town where you really can enjoy you’re hobby having even more chickens and roosters too?

Ever thought of moving to another chicken friendlier town where you really can enjoy you’re hobby having even more chickens and roosters too?
My chicken hobby is very low on the priority list. We need to live (fairly) close to our jobs, and want a good school district for our kids, so that takes priority when deciding where to live. Our current place meets all the requirements, and the town itself is very chicken friendly, so it doesn't make sense to move just because of one a-hole neighbor. We just had bad luck, unfortunately.

I do, however, often dream of retiring somewhere farther out, with more land, fewer neighbors, and more animals! :D

Here are some head shots from this morning, for comb comparisons:

Pooh:
43AD6A54-7619-472B-A596-97CA26AABBE0.jpeg

Lemonade:
301508D4-7103-4B6C-9147-755EEA7275E9.jpeg

Blinky:
60C5F598-1DD6-42AF-B635-009015EFC1C6.jpeg

The Baby:
406D3398-1BC9-4758-B7A2-B15B5F985A65.jpeg

The Pretty One:
73FB05DC-7CD6-48A6-AA23-9FCCE55926A0.jpeg

Maybe the pretty one is a hen!!!
Wohoo! I sure hope so. Lemonade and Blinky's combs and wattles are SO prominent and red, that they're setting the bar high for what looks male to me. The rest look female purely by comparison. Though I guess some of them could still be slow-developing males, but looking at pictures of my Orpingtons from last year, at this age, the males' combs were pretty obvious already...

I would say that Lemonade and Blinky are male. But Pretty one is not so obvious. As long as he / she has no clear signs of manly hood, I would not give up.

Can you relocate the 2 boys now and wait and see a few more weeks for Pretty One? I don’t think a boy with no red comb will cry.

I would say that Lemonade and Blinky are male. But Pretty one is not so obvious. As long as he / she has no clear signs of manly hood, I would not give up.

Can you relocate the 2 boys now and wait and see a few more weeks for Pretty One? I don’t think a boy with no red comb will cry.
That's what I'm thinking of doing. Relocating the 2 obvious boys and keeping the other three, and watching Pretty closely for any signs of maleness. Last year, my partridge was the absolute last to crow, at 5 months, so I'm hoping Pretty is a late bloomer if male as well. But good point about the redness of the comb and the crowing being related, it makes sense.

Nice side by side shot for comparison - Lemonade on the left I’m sure is male, Baby at the bottom I’m now sure is female, and Pretty in the back is looking like a female if you look at it standing next to both a male and a female...

98807309-4816-40C7-BED5-E082BA9F31A6.jpeg

Nice side by side shot for comparison - Lemonade on the left I’m sure is male, Baby at the bottom I’m now sure is female, and Pretty in the back is looking like a female if you look at it standing next to both a male and a female...

98807309-4816-40C7-BED5-E082BA9F31A6.jpeg
Looking good! Have you started trying to rehome them yet?

Back
Top Bottom