I need help to identify if this is aviary dry pox!!!!

Macie2003

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
Hello everyone! I hope u are all doing well. Last week my couple month old male turkey had a lump on his head. It was right above his eye but disappeared a couple days later. It was super strange than three-four days ago, when I was letting out all the turkeys and examining them, I noticed his eyes were covered with this foamy white substance and he couldn’t even see. So I immediately started searching stuff up and found out about pox. I put some eye drops in his eyes and the white foam completely went away. Now, he has been breaking out every night since the bump went away with these huge scabs. They aren’t horrible because I think I caught it early, but that being said, I am still worried about him since he is only a couple months old. I have been giving him vitamin supplements in his water and I am just now giving him polyvisol 0.5ml (10 drops) morning and night. He is starting to get scabs around his eyes and mouth so I am worried it’s not gonna stop spreading! I am just needing a second opinion and I will link some pictures of his scabs below! Please help us! Thank you all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 4
He has also been “sneezing” a lot lately but he acts fine, still eats,drinks, and he cries for his friends because he hates being away from them. He has also had very liquid poop lately which is nothing too unusual. He has also been trying to “bite” me lately. He has never been a mean turkey, very docile and kind so that’s another reason I knew something was wrong. He’s also losing a lot of feathers lately too.

I don't know much of anything about Turkeys, so let's tag in some folks that may know more about them like @R2elk @M-H-Fielding @Huntmaster @casportpony

Let me ask some questions though that may help the others. Does he have any mucous, lesions, yellow or white pasty material inside his beak? Any bad odors?

The scabs are interesting. Not necessarily what I would say is Fowl Pox, but might be at the early stages, a bit puzzling is they disappeared then came back. Usually Fowl Pox lesions seem to multiply and get worse, run their course - not go away and come back.

Bubbles in the eyes and mucous from the nostrils - does he have coughing/sneezing?
I would lean toward respiratory illness - Mycoplasma. An antibiotic like Tylosin may be helpful in treating symptoms.

Is he with other turkeys that may be picking at him causing scabs? Just have to ask:)

I would carefully continue to do what you have been doing - keep the eyes cleaned with saline and use your eye drops. Any scabs especially on the side of the face/neck, take care not to disturb them just in case it is Fowl Pox (or can be a combination of "illnesses"). Disturbing scabs can cause spread, but you can put a dab of Iodine on scabs to help dry them up.

Hopefully the others will be able to recognize what's going on and offer much better suggestions than I can.

I don't know much of anything about Turkeys, so let's tag in some folks that may know more about them like @R2elk @M-H-Fielding @Huntmaster @casportpony

Let me ask some questions though that may help the others. Does he have any mucous, lesions, yellow or white pasty material inside his beak? Any bad odors?

The scabs are interesting. Not necessarily what I would say is Fowl Pox, but might be at the early stages, a bit puzzling is they disappeared then came back. Usually Fowl Pox lesions seem to multiply and get worse, run their course - not go away and come back.

Bubbles in the eyes and mucous from the nostrils - does he have coughing/sneezing?
I would lean toward respiratory illness - Mycoplasma. An antibiotic like Tylosin may be helpful in treating symptoms.

Is he with other turkeys that may be picking at him causing scabs? Just have to ask:)

I would carefully continue to do what you have been doing - keep the eyes cleaned with saline and use your eye drops. Any scabs especially on the side of the face/neck, take care not to disturb them just in case it is Fowl Pox (or can be a combination of "illnesses"). Disturbing scabs can cause spread, but you can put a dab of Iodine on scabs to help dry them up.

Hopefully the others will be able to recognize what's going on and offer much better suggestions than I can.
Ok awesome! He is quarantined from all of the other animals so no one is picking on him. I will have to check his mouth but he has a mucous smell (if u know what I mean) I just went up there to check up on him and when I did, he was running into things again because the bubbles were completely covering his eyes again and he was having a hard time breathing as well. It sounded like he had mucous in his throat. The scabs have come to a head recently and they are peeling leaving a huge sore on the spots where they were. Where can I get that antibiotic?

Hopefully @casportpony can chime in.
I still don't know much about diseases in Turkeys. Chickens are my gig.
A quick search though - a bad odor, it's possible he has Wet Form of Fowl Pox, but looking at Turkey diseases and some of the symptoms, I would research Bordellosis (Turkey Coryza) as well. Do a comparison and see what fits symptoms best.
IF vet care if possible, it's always best.

Tylosin/Tylan or a Tetracycline may be helpful with symptoms of Mycoplasma and/or Turkey Coryza but I have to wonder if Baytril may be a better choice - hence the tagging of more knowledgeable Turkey folks. Baytril would treat symptoms of MG too.
Is this fella meant for consumption - are you going to process/butcher him? If so when?

Antibiotics can usually be ordered online - most feed stores don't carry much of anything nowadays.
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=0f361025a&_ss=r
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=d91f706ef&_ss=r

Hopefully @casportpony can chime in.
I still don't know much about diseases in Turkeys. Chickens are my gig.
A quick search though - a bad odor, it's possible he has Wet Form of Fowl Pox, but looking at Turkey diseases and some of the symptoms, I would research Bordellosis (Turkey Coryza) as well. Do a comparison and see what fits symptoms best.
IF vet care if possible, it's always best.

Tylosin/Tylan or a Tetracycline may be helpful with symptoms of Mycoplasma and/or Turkey Coryza but I have to wonder if Baytril may be a better choice - hence the tagging of more knowledgeable Turkey folks. Baytril would treat symptoms of MG too.
Is this fella meant for consumption - are you going to process/butcher him? If so when?

Antibiotics can usually be ordered online - most feed stores don't carry much of anything nowadays.
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=0f361025a&_ss=r
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=d91f706ef&_ss=r
We sell and breed turkeys, peacocks, ducks, and guineas. We sell chicken eggs but we don’t butcher on our farm as of right now. I ordered some tiamulin because I searched up the different forms of mycoplasma. Seems to me that he has the pneumonia form or the sinosis form. I am going to treat him with that and my other turkeys just in case so they don’t receive it either. I just got some saline solution for his eyes and nose to try to drain out the mucous and help him breathe better. Wish me luck!

We sell and breed turkeys, peacocks, ducks, and guineas. We sell chicken eggs but we don’t butcher on our farm as of right now. I ordered some tiamulin because I searched up the different forms of mycoplasma. Seems to me that he has the pneumonia form or the sinosis form. I am going to treat him with that and my other turkeys just in case so they don’t receive it either. I just got some saline solution for his eyes and nose to try to drain out the mucous and help him breathe better. Wish me luck!
Are you aware that poultry diseases are highly contagious?

Are you in the US?
If you're in the US you can have testing done by your state lab for fairly cheap to know what you're dealing with.

You really should not be selling birds if you potentially have disease in your flock... Which it sounds like you do with this one bird.

Are you aware that poultry diseases are highly contagious?

Are you in the US?
If you're in the US you can have testing done by your state lab for fairly cheap to know what you're dealing with.

You really should not be selling birds if you potentially have disease in your flock... Which it sounds like you do with this one bird.
I am aware and I am very cautious about everything I do. I am not selling right now because they are far to young and not sexually mature and because we have one sick yes. I do not keep them contained together, they are all separated in their own buildings from everyone else and I take specific measures to wash my hands after handling every different type of bird/animal. Thank you for everything and all your help!

Back
Top Bottom