I Need HELP...voles!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by poochgrmr, Mar 8, 2012.

1. poochgrmr

poochgrmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    We didn't have a hard winter at all so the ground near the house has thawed. I have a bed with lots of Spring bulbs. You can guess what is happening. I see tunnels all around in the bed. I would assume that the bulbs are being eaten. When planting I put red pepper flakes but that was 5 years ago. What can I do to stop them without using something that would hurt chickens. Bulbs are popping through the dirt early but will they now continue growing...That Is The Question....ANY suggestions welcome.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I was really hoping someone would answer this post. I have the same problem here. My grandma used to flush them out with a water hose, but doing that leaves a lot of sunken places in the yard. I may resort back to that though because there are so many out there! It's hazardous to walk through the yard at this point.

3. airen

airen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    I wish I could help...

Our soil is so bad we do raised beds with hardware cloth at the bottom. I know that is no help to you now, but maybe my commenting and putting back on top will :)

4. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Try finding a friend with ferrets, and offer them some old tee-shirts for nesting material. After a week or so of the ferrets "perfuming" the shirts for you, take them and stuff them down the vole tunnels (or tear them up into pieces if a whole shirt won't fit). That might frighten them into leaving.

Just a thought -- when I had ferrets, something I learned is how rodents tend to be very averse to the scent of mustelids

5. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    My DIL has a ferret! I'll give this a try. Thank you.

6. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    the best method I know of takes alot of time unfortunately....
    step down all the mounds and trails and keep checking OFTEN for activity and do this quietly.
    When you see one mounding, grab a pitchfork, time your stab and stab hard.
    There are also mole traps one can buy, but the pitchfork method I have the best luck with.

7. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait, just so I'm clear on this -- your problem is with VOLES, not MOLES, right? Because I don't know how moles would react to ferret odor, but what I proposed should work for voles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by