i need help with brooder ideas

You may already know this, but you will have to keep your chicks at 95 degrees F for the first week, then 90 degrees F for the second week, and 5 degrees less each week after that down to about 60 degrees or so outside. Your chicks likely will have to be raised in your house or heated garage until spring, when temps get to 50-60 degrees. My guess is they will likely die if you have them outside in your climate, even if you try to heat a brooder there.

Sorry Miss Prissy, I didn't see you post while I was writing mine!

Last edited:
The Ladies are right, and the following thread has lots of ideas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

Over 50 pages of ideas and photos. If you have a spare bedroom, a tv room, even your basement if you have one will do. We have a dog carrier setup like the very one pictured at the very top of the thread I listed above: we have it in our spare bedroom sitting on some very sturdy boxes (to keep it off the hardwood floor which gets cold at night) and we have the carrier wrapped in an old down comforter. This is our first week with the babies and it turned out to be a very cold week here. We ran the heat in the house a little higher AND use a RED infrared bulb in our lamp reflector (with a CERAMIC BASE)... Infrared because they will sleep (meaning YOU WILL SLEEP). Use a plain white bulb or a white heat lamp and they will have difficulty sleeping (and so will you). Don't cut corners buying the lamp bulb, consider it an investment in their healthy growth and your sanity (when it comes to sleepless nights you'll worry about them enough as it is).

Best Of Luck With Your Babies... we ADORE ours, they are growing like crazy, developing little personalities and having a blast too...

welcome-byc.gif

P1150210.jpg

Quote:
Im just trying to get chickens for a head start this year. last year they didnt get big fast becacuse i got them in may. but thanks im getting them this monday:D

Here is one I made for inside use during the winter or I can take it out to the coop when it gets warmer.
16513_eggs_017.jpg
[/img]

16513_eggs_019.jpg
[/img]

16513_eggs_020.jpg
[/img]

I'm hoping to get some use out of it very soon.

Back
Top Bottom