I need help with my daughters favorite

greenapple

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Central Florida
Our big boy, Drumstick, started hobbling around a few days ago. He stays close to his water and feed, but did walk away a bit when his girls were in his area. Now he doesn't walk much at all. I checked his legs. His left side was fine, but his right wasn't. He really didn't me like touching his right leg, and the top of his leg felt like it was further back than the left leg. I am guessing that it could be dislocated. It didn't feel like anything was broken, the top of the right felt just like the left, only in a different place. Oh, and when he tries to walk, and crow, he kicks out his right leg a few times before he hobbles. Any suggestions on what to do?

Could be dislocated. I had a chick that was like that when she was about 3 or 4 weeks old. She drug her leg around and it was hanging backwards and just gross looking. I worried she would have to be put down but I gave her a few days and she did get better. Now shes almost 2 years old and doing great. I did a post on this and everyone told me that chickens are really great healers and should make out fine. I would say that he should get better but if he only has a broken or dislocated leg. Id like to see what everyone else has to say.

Just an update on our roo. He is the same as before, hanging out near the feeder and water. Anyone know how to relocate a dislocated roo leg?

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?p=101444&sid=75f66a16ada10d29d547414164ec00c4

There
is a segment about this on the 2nd post, I would recommed taking him to a vet If you dont do that right, you could permenantly damage muscles on his leg and he only has 2. Maybe ask a normal vet and explain the situation. they might be able to help with a problem as simple as dislocation, or if you know a vet, or try to find a vet, that will walk you through the procedure on the phone.

I just noticed in you siggy that he is a cornish x roo. I'm sorry to tell you, but this may be the problem. How old is this guy anyway? Cornish x's are meant to be butchered at 8 weeks old, but some people have succesfully had them live until around a year old. Let us know how he does! and Good Luck to you and your boy!
fl.gif

We have had drumstick almost 4 years. He was a rescue from an apartment complex parking lot. We guessed him to be about 10 weeks old when we got him. He was already bigger when we got him than what my barred rocks are full grown. He started to attempt crowing after we had him a little over a month.
I am pretty sure I know a vet that would treat him, but I cannot afford to take him there right now. He doesn't give directions over the phone, he has to see the animal.
I am not sure how to move his leg to get it back in place. He keeps trying to kick it out to the side. Do I just continue what he is trying to do when he kicks to the side?

Back
Top Bottom