1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I need help with my rhode island red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Handmadens, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Handmadens

Handmadens In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Ok I think my Rhode Island Red hen is molting. Her appetitie has decreased, she isn't laying eggs and she pretty much lays around most of the day. My concern is I noticed tonight that she isn't roosting she is laying down under the roost box. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Diane

2. chauqg

chauqg Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    One of my RIR's acted that way for a few days.... Took her out of the nest she was laying in each night and gave her treats and some TLC daily for several days. Made sure she was eating by hand feeding her... Few days of this she was moving around and in a week she was fine. Key IMHO was keeping her eating and drinking was the right thing to do.

Good Luck.[​IMG]

3. Handmadens

Handmadens In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    What kinds of treats did you give her?

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    If it is hot in your area like it is here, make sure she stays hydrated. I use a fan blowing air on my birds to help with the heat and try to give them cold water often, it seems to help. She could be moulting or just puny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: