I need help with the design of my run

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
My DH and I are trying to plan out the chicken coop and run. He is planning the coop and I am planning the run. My problem is this. He has told me I can do the run any way I want, BUT the big trees have to stay. I can not cut any of them down. The small trees can go. So, working around these big trees might be a problem. Do I need a top on the run? The chickens will be locked up in the coop at night and in the run and free ranging during the day. Their free ranging time will depend on me being home (which is most of the time) so I can keep an eye on them. With that said, there will be some time they will be spending in the run. If I do need a top on the run, is there a way I can work around these big trees and still have the top? I would appreciate any ideas on this!
big_smile.png

p.s. There is sooooo much work that needs to be done!
barnie.gif

This is the spot where the coop is going. It is actually larger than it looks. I couldn't get the whole lot in the picture!
smile.png

DSC01862.jpg

These are the big trees I am talking about. All of the smaller stuff it going. Only the big trees stay.
DSC01863.jpg

Last edited:
Someone posted a very cool run not to long ago that used trees like yours for all the posts of the run. I think you could do the same since your bigger trees seem to planted in some what of a line. I wish I could remember who did that, it was for her brother I think. Hopefully they will post and show you the pics. I believe she did cover the run too....

Oh this is going to drive me nuts!
he.gif

I'm going to look for it so I can post you the link!

How many chickens are you going to put in there and about how big is that space you have?

I would definitely go with a top. You have to build a run pretty high for chickens not to be able to fly out and there is always the danger of something flying or climbing in from outside.

Cassandra

Quote:
I am going to put 26 chickens in the coop/run, so it's going to be long. The chicken wire I am going with is only 4' high so I was worried about them flying over and something getting in. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought, because these chickens are a whole new ball game to me!!! I do have some black chicken coop netting for the top, that someone gave us. If I use the trees for my posts, like Texas Fluffy Feet suggested, then I would only have one big tree left in the middle. I could cut the netting and fit it around the tree, then just use cable ties to put the section of the net I have to cut back together! Does anyone think that would work?
idunno.gif
Thanks for the help!

I am going to put 26 chickens in the coop/run, so it's going to be long. The chicken wire I am going with is only 4' high so I was worried about them flying over and something getting in. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought, because these chickens are a whole new ball game to me!!! I do have some black chicken coop netting for the top, that someone gave us. If I use the trees for my posts, like Texas Fluffy Feet suggested, then I would only have one big tree left in the middle. I could cut the netting and fit it around the tree, then just use cable ties to put the section of the net I have to cut back together! Does anyone think that would work? Thanks for the help!

Hello.
If you cut it and used the cable ties to reconnect both sides it should work. A buddy of mine got some of the black top netting like your talking about and it was all riped to up and we just wired it back togeather with cable ties and it works great. So what you want to do should work out great.

Hope i helped you out​

Back
Top Bottom