I need help with this hatch: over 48 hours since pip. **Pic added.*

Quote:
You really need to read the sub sections (like the duck area) on BYC when looking to incubate anything other than chickens. Each fowl has its own needs and tricks to getting artificial incubation to work. So with that said, if you ask on the general incubation thread you may not get the answer you should for ducks or peafowl, ect. You may also get people arguing on the thread because those who do and have hatched ducks would give good advice, but have chicken hatchers arguing they are wrong.

Your part of the country also comes into play, the climate, humidity, drafts ect will all effect the hatch rate.

If you open the incubator too often, especially once in lockdown. Unless you have experience with hatching and know how your conditions effect the bator it is best to not mess more than needed.

I was doing my searches specifically for ducks. I found people saying 80 to 85 percent, people saying 55 percent, people saying 70 percent.. etc. Even found a thread where someone was doing a "dry hatch" or something.. I don't know.. but they were duck specific. I have experience with hatching , only chickens. Not ducks.

Ducks are a whole other story I do believe!

Maybe in the spring mama duck will decide she wants to be a mommy and do this herself!!

Hopefully mama will be up for the task, just wanted to remind you that we will love to see the lil one as it grows, so don't forget to post lots of pics.
smile.png

Quote:
You really need to read the sub sections (like the duck area) on BYC when looking to incubate anything other than chickens. Each fowl has its own needs and tricks to getting artificial incubation to work. So with that said, if you ask on the general incubation thread you may not get the answer you should for ducks or peafowl, ect. You may also get people arguing on the thread because those who do and have hatched ducks would give good advice, but have chicken hatchers arguing they are wrong.

Your part of the country also comes into play, the climate, humidity, drafts ect will all effect the hatch rate.

If you open the incubator too often, especially once in lockdown. Unless you have experience with hatching and know how your conditions effect the bator it is best to not mess more than needed.

I was doing my searches specifically for ducks. I found people saying 80 to 85 percent, people saying 55 percent, people saying 70 percent.. etc. Even found a thread where someone was doing a "dry hatch" or something.. I don't know.. but they were duck specific. I have experience with hatching , only chickens. Not ducks.

Maybe in the spring mama duck will decide she wants to be a mommy and do this herself!!

You may have come across some of my posts about dry hatching. Dry hatching for me works best since we are in FL, but it doesn't mean no water or humidity. Because of the humidity in our daily air I don't do much to add water during incubation, but I do increase at lock down. I also don't incubate the call ducks the same way I do the LF ducks. Hopefully your girl will be a good mom next time for you and sit the clutch out.

Quackers so sorry for your lose. How many eggs did you have incubating? Ready to try again? My 5 are suppose too hatch Saturday. How do you know when they have pipped? (sp) I was checking my humidity a little while ago and I swear one egg moved. I had to put 2 sponges in muy incubator to get the humidity up to 80. I hope I am doing all this right because I havvs no clue what I am doing. I have 14 more to go in when these are hatched.....maybe. I haven't decided yet if I want to try again.

Well hugs to that little one that you have.

Quote:

You may have come across some of my posts about dry hatching. Dry hatching for me works best since we are in FL, but it doesn't mean no water or humidity. Because of the humidity in our daily air I don't do much to add water during incubation, but I do increase at lock down. I also don't incubate the call ducks the same way I do the LF ducks. Hopefully your girl will be a good mom next time for you and sit the clutch out.

I'm hoping she does. I know it wasn't you I was reading about the dry hatching. I remember who it was. Here in Missouri our weather changes daily. Hourly even. I know the chicks were all alive 4 days ago, so my conclusion is I didn't get the humidity high enough for lock down. I have it higher now for the eggs that are due next Tuesday.
Hey tell me something about Sebastopol Geese. I think they are just GORGEOUS! What is their temperment? Have you ever hatched any? I always see them being sold as adults, never babies or eggs. I'm just curious!
smile.png

Quote:
Hey, thanks. It sucks but whatevs. Sucks! I actually started with 20 duck eggs and a lot weren't viable. I ended up with 10. These were the first eggs my ducks layed. I didn't know they were there because they were laying them in a corner and then hiding them. So when I found them there were 22 in a little pile. I threw them in the bator and the rest is history. So this little baby is more special because she is the first offspring of my ducks. I'm being cheesy I know..

I have 2 more ducks that are due Tuesday, 10 more I set yesterday then that's it for ducks because they have stopped laying. I also have 9 silkies and 34 cochins I just put in. Chickens are what I know so I'm not as obsessive and uptight about them.
smile.png
(It gets personal when concerning my duckies.)

What do you have baking in your bator? Saturday is soooo close. Better make some coffee around 9pm Saturday night!

I got 5 mutts but tbey are my first. They are a mix of Roeon and Buff.. I put another sponge in the bator today to get the humidity up to about 80. I just checked on them and one of the eggs giggled. How do you know when they have pipped?

Sebbie geese are IMO the sweetest things you will find. I personally hated geese because they are all mean nasty little critters lol. Got a couple eggs somehow. Hatched them and someone gave me a really nice blue gander gosling. They completely changed my mind about a goose is a goose
smile.png

Hope your next hatch does better I generally run approx. 70% on all my hatches if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom