I need help

JessJohnson

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
Mother guinea has been sitting on her nest since Friday morning when her male was killed. It’s now Monday morning. He was guarding the nest and was murdered by a neighbor running him down. She doesn’t do anything without him. She is waiting to come back but he’s not going to. What should I do ? I put water and food near her but she won’t touch it. She getting weak. What can I do for her and her eggs. They were deeply in love and I have never seen a love that strong. My heart is broken

Mother guinea has been sitting on her nest since Friday morning when her male was killed. It’s now Monday morning. He was guarding the nest and was murdered by a neighbor running him down. She doesn’t do anything without him. She is waiting to come back but he’s not going to. What should I do ? I put water and food near her but she won’t touch it. She getting weak. What can I do for her and her eggs. They were deeply in love and I have never seen a love that strong. My heart is broken

Maybe she is broody?

There is a word or name for people who assign human emotions to animals, it’s a long word, kind of scientific, and ends in y...

Whatever you think she is “feeling” she’s not.

Maybe she is broody?

There is a word or name for people who assign human emotions to animals, it’s a long word, kind of scientific, and ends in y...

Whatever you think she is “feeling” she’s not.
Both turkeys and guineas can suffer from depression which may happen because of the loss of a mate. The depression can become severe enough to result in death.

This is not to imply that the emotion "love" is involved.

Im sorry if I don’t know the right words. I just trying to have save her and her babies. She’s sitting on a large pile of eggs. Since the male was killed right in front of her it seems she’s given up on life.

People often make the mistake that a broody hen is not getting off of the nest. Unless you have a camera set up to constantly monitor the broody hen, it is very easy to miss the times that she gets off of the nest. Proof that the hen gets off of the nest daily can be as simple as the fact that she is not defecating in her nest. A hen can go a long time with little to eat but cannot last very long without water. Just the fact that the hen is alive is proof that she does indeed get off of the nest daily.

It is best not to put food and water near a nest. The hen needs the exercise that getting up to eat, drink, etc. causes. The other problem is that food and water near a nest can attract unwanted "visitors".

If you are that concerned, put the eggs in an incubator, destroy the nest and get the hen to become active.

People often make the mistake that a broody hen is not getting off of the nest. Unless you have a camera set up to constantly monitor the broody hen, it is very easy to miss the times that she gets off of the nest. Proof that the hen gets off of the nest daily can be as simple as the fact that she is not defecating in her nest. A hen can go a long time with little to eat but cannot last very long without water. Just the fact that the hen is alive is proof that she does indeed get off of the nest daily.

It is best not to put food and water near a nest. The hen needs the exercise that getting up to eat, drink, etc. causes. The other problem is that food and water near a nest can attract unwanted "visitors".

If you are that concerned, put the eggs in an incubator, destroy the nest and get the hen to become active.
Her male was protecting her nest when a neighbor drove by and killed him in front of her. She never goes anywhere without him. Their nest is in thick blackberry patch. I have a small hole to look in. She’s very weak today. I think I should go get an incubator to help them. But it tells seems like she has given up. And I do have a ring camera on the blackberry bush but it doesn’t get all angles. But it really appears she has not left it since he died on Friday.

The eggs will do better under the hen than in an incubator.

However, my Guineas were never good mothers.

How many other Guineas do you have?

Stop looking in the little hole at her, it could have negative outcomes. Leave her alone, she will be better off than you peeking at her daily.

The eggs will do better under the hen than in an incubator.

However, my Guineas were never good mothers.

How many other Guineas do you have?

Stop looking in the little hole at her, it could have negative outcomes. Leave her alone, she will be better off than you peeking at her daily.
My neighbors are who have the flock. This male and female came to live in my yard on their own. I’ve been watching over them but could not save the male because a neighbor that doesn’t like them hit him with a car while he was watching the nest. So it’s just her and the eggs. I will stop looking at her. I’m just worried it will be 95 tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom