I need help!!!

Hello,
My name is Molly and I’m new here. I started a little hobby farm this year and have 3 Pygmy goats and 3 Khaki Campbell ducks.
I need some help with my ducks.
My girl Fynn started laying last Thursday for the first time, I was told to collect the eggs everyday so I have, I marked them and they are sitting on my counter... I would like to hatch some if possible( I bought an incubator) but I’m not sure if I made a mistake by collecting everyday? The only reason I did this is b/c I live in Ontario Canada and since last week it’s been really cold here -23 so I didn’t want the eggs to freeze if I left them until she had her full clutch.
Can someone please help or guide me into the right direction. I don’t want to screw up 🤦‍♀️
Thanks

Eggs coming for new layers aren't really the best to hatch, since sometimes they may not be fertile, or maybe deformed (soft), etc. You mention you have three ducks (?) Do you have a drake, and have you seen the male mating with the duck? Have you even checked if one of her eggs are fertile?

Collecting eggs and keeping them inside is fine, but it's best to use them within seven days, and turn them a bit daily for a good hatch.

I would set them in an incubator at 99.5* Fahrenheit and about 55% - 65% humidity and then candle them on day 7 to see if they are fertile. You can also crack one open and look to see if there is a small feint white bullseye looking thing on the yolk. Are these new layers though?

Eggs coming for new layers aren't really the best to hatch, since sometimes they may not be fertile, or maybe deformed (soft), etc. You mention you have three ducks (?) Do you have a drake, and have you seen the male mating with the duck? Have you even checked if one of her eggs are fertile?

Collecting eggs and keeping them inside is fine, but it's best to use them within seven days, and turn them a bit daily for a good hatch.
I have 2 drakes and they are on my girl constantly. I did crack the first two eggs she laid, the shell was super hard and I did notice in the eggs there was a white dot, if that means anything?
how do I check the eggs for fertility? I have a candler but I thought it was too soon to see anything?!

I have 2 drakes and they are on my girl constantly. I did crack the first two eggs she laid, the shell was super hard and I did notice in the eggs there was a white dot, if that means anything?
how do I check the eggs for fertility? I have a candler but I thought it was too soon to see anything?!
A white dot means it’s infertile. A white dot with a circle around it means it’s fertile

I would set them in an incubator at 99.5* Fahrenheit and about 55% - 65% humidity and then candle them on day 7 to see if they are fertile. You can also crack one open and look to see if there is a small feint white bullseye looking thing on the yolk. Are these new layers though?
Yes she’s a new layer, I cracked the first 2 she laid and they had the white dot

Back
Top Bottom