I need help

Clodill4rel

Songster
Mar 16, 2022
I have an amazing lowest on pecking order broody hen that hatched out 7 of our mixed flocks eggs. Our chicks are now 2.5-3 weeks old and one of the chicks is constantly following our hen around and will not leave her alone. I watch them stare each other down and he tries to stand super tall…..he is pecking her neck feathers so badly that she is bleeding now he(I think it’s a Roo) also pecks at her eyes and beak! What should I do? She is almost I’d say too patient with it! She has ran after him a few times only when she can’t take it anymore. Is this an aggressive chick? It horrific to watch I can’t handle it anymore and I don’t know what I’m suppose to do or if this is normal? The other 6 chicks huddle together sleep and do their own thing but this one chick will not stop pecking it’s mother! Please I’ll take any advice

I have an amazing lowest on pecking order broody hen that hatched out 7 of our mixed flocks eggs. Our chicks are now 2.5-3 weeks old and one of the chicks is constantly following our hen around and will not leave her alone. It is pecking her neck feathers so badly that she is bleeding now he(I think it’s a Roo) also pecks at her eyes and beak! What should I do? She has ran after him a few times only when she can’t take it anymore. Is this an aggressive chick? It horrific to watch I can’t handle it anymore and I don’t know what I’m suppose to do or if this is normal? The other 6 huddle together sleep and do their own thing but this one chick will not stop pecking it’s mother! Please I’ll take any advice
You could separate it with another chick.

You could separate it with another chick.
Is this behavior aggression and will I see the behavior continue I wonder?!?! I have 22 chicks we hatched we have our broodys chicks and the incubator chicks coop area should I try putting it in with the incubator chicks and see what happens? I do not want an aggressive rooster at all

Is this behavior aggression and will I see the behavior continue I wonder?!?! I have 22 chicks we hatched we have our broodys chicks and the incubator chicks coop area should I try putting it in with the incubator chicks and see what happens? I do not want an aggressive rooster at all
You could cull him now if you don't want that temperment in your flock. But that's up to you.

You could cull him now if you don't want that temperment in your flock. But that's up to you.
That’s what we are thinking we put him in the other coop with the incubator chicks n he seems to be doing fine there but I have a feeling he could become aggressive I. The future since he is drawing blood on his mother ! Yuck but he is separated now

I have an amazing lowest on pecking order broody hen that hatched out 7 of our mixed flocks eggs. Our chicks are now 2.5-3 weeks old and one of the chicks is constantly following our hen around and will not leave her alone. I watch them stare each other down and he tries to stand super tall…..he is pecking her neck feathers so badly that she is bleeding now he(I think it’s a Roo) also pecks at her eyes and beak! What should I do? She is almost I’d say too patient with it! She has ran after him a few times only when she can’t take it anymore. Is this an aggressive chick? It horrific to watch I can’t handle it anymore and I don’t know what I’m suppose to do or if this is normal? The other 6 chicks huddle together sleep and do their own thing but this one chick will not stop pecking it’s mother! Please I’ll take any advice
This is abnormal. He got some mutant genes or something. Me, I'd cull him. Nobody needs an aggressive roo, unless you are going to fight him. Or give him as a gift to someone you dislike if you hate to kill him.

Back
Top Bottom