I need help!

kingdean

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
This morning we noticed a RIR hen acting strange. She was just standing in one spot with her tail hanging low. I picked her up and looked at her eyes and they were wide open and clear. Then I started feeling around and felt a big lump in her abdomen close to her rear. It feels like a sideways egg.

We brought her inside and figuring she was egg bound (I've never had an egg bound chicken before) I put her in a warm bath. That didn't do much of anything so she's now sleeping in the bathroom with a heat lamp.

I don't know what to do for her. If she's egg bound would the egg be at her abdomen? I've been looking at chicken anatomy pics and where I'm feeling the lump is where her intestines are. I also did an internal examination and did not feel an egg.

She won't eat and she's only pooped once in the past 5 hours and it was dark green and white. I don't know if that helps.

Thanks!

I've never dealt with an eggbound hen, so I'm not sure what to do for her.
sad.png

I'm just trying to bump your thread until someone more experienced can offer you some advice.

Good luck!

In case it's some sort of intestinal blockage, you might want to try feeding her an eye dropper of vegetable or olive oil. That could help lubricate things, and help her pass whatever might be stopping her up. I know that is one of the treatments for an impacted crop, so it couldn't hurt any.

I just checked her again. I'm certain that what I'm feeling is a sideways egg. It's movable and she growns when I move it. I put her in another warm bath. Hopefully we can get this thing out!

Oh forgot to say. She just pooped again and it's white and runny. Does that mean anything?

I think it's good that she's having some movement down there, causing her to poop often. If it's runny, it probably means she didn't eat much today.

I would continue with the warm bath and maybe lubricate her vent area with KY jelly or vaseline when you have her out of the water. If nothing else, you could even use Neosporin or vegetable oil as a lubricant.

Last edited:
I just found this site about egg binding, and thought the information might assist you with your hen.

The most pertinent thing I found out is that you should start giving her oral antibiotics because the swelling could be caused by a buildup of fluid from an infection. Most feed stores sell broad spectrum antibiotic powder (such as Duramycin-10) that you add to the bird's drinking water.

Keep me posted about how things progress.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page3.htm

Last edited:
I massaged her abdomen while she was in the water and moved the "mass" farther down. I took her out of the water and could see a lump just under her vent. I felt inside and could feel a lump but it seems to be in another area. Does that make sense? I can't get it to through her vent! Is it an egg?

I'm not sure, but perhaps it's an egg that is still in an early stage of "production". It could be that she has a mass of fluid or swelling caused by bruising or trauma in her reproductive tract. Check out the link I added above and start her on antibiotics to take care of any possible infection, even if she passes an egg!

Here's a site offering additional advice:

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31430

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom