1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need hygrometer help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jan 6, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I purchased a new hygrometer and thermometer from petco the other day. According to the salt test, my hygrometer is 7 degrees off. The thermometer is perfect. Well, my incubator is at 99 degrees fahreinheit, but my hygrometer says only 26 (after subtracting 7 degrees). I filled the whole bottom of my incubator with water and it still isnt budging. I have now come to the conclusion that my hygrometer is junk. I am now looking for a digital hygrometer/thermometer. What is the cheapest, most effective thermometer/hygrometer combo and where can I purchase it?

Thanks for all and any input.

2. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    icubator warehouse has a good one .thats where i got mine.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I never calibrated my hydrometer. I have had great hatches. I don't think that humidity is as important as temp until lockdown.
    I just followed the instructions on my incubator.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have three different hygrometers in my incubator and all three have different readings -varying about 20 percent.

I fill my center trough of the hovabator 1588 and re-fill it whenever the humidity drops (about every 2-3 days).

Seems to work fine. Way better than worrying about the reading on a hygrometer that may not even be correct in the first place.

[​IMG]

5. jessica.anne

jessica.anne Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    South Carolina Midlands
    Is it a Fluker's brand round hygrometer? That came in a set with thermometer? I bought that as well. It was junk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by