I need ideas for my coop roof

ducks4you

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
East Central Illinois
Finally gonna get that big coop built, after many attempts at 1/2 a.slurpie.slurpie outdoor enclosures (renamed for the benefit of this family forum.)
I need recommendations. I like chicken wire, but it sags. I built two 2 x 4 boxes covered with chicken wire for the 12 x 12 temporary coop, but it's only 1/2 the size of the new run. (I have all of the dog run panels for everything. Can't go without. We had an owl slip though the saggy roof two years ago and killed two hens before we knew about it. 'O'.
I've seen netting.
Got all other problems figure out, but I'm still struggling with this one. DH has suggested the netting that we have seen at a place closeby that raises pheasant, but I don't think it will work. They grow corn as a cover for their birds and you can hardly see any birds by the end of July. I need to see my hens and find my eggs. See my quandry?
Any ideas are appreciated, even if you are new here. =D

I have chicken wire on top of my run, which has kept out raptors for many years, BUT it's certainly not ideal. The birds are locked in their secure coop every night, so a raccoon or whatever getting in the run at night isn't a huge concern. I plan to put a solid roof on my run this year, because the snow in winter is a pain! I would think netting would work for raptors, anyway, over a large run. Mary

I covered by 15x15 run with chicken wire held up with PVC piping. If was good during the summer, but when winter came, the snow did not go through the netting like I thought, and it collapsed several times from the weight. So the next year I built run 2.0 and went with aluminum roofing. Best decision I made. Keeps the run dry, no more mud! Keep the rain and snow out.

I used the PVC roof

I use Ondura corrigated asphalt on my coops and Su tuff corrigated clear polycarbonate on my runs. I use 1/2" harhardware cloth to cover windows, vents, and the sides and bottom of my runs. 4 inches of sand on the floor of the runs and Hi Fiber Gold horse fodder in my coops and nest boxes.
all my roofs came through this last horrible winter with flying colors. At one time i has 3 Ft of snow on the roofs.

Back
Top Bottom