I need ideas on treats for my chicks ...........

djwingo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Kellyville, Oklahoma
Any good ideas for treats? i really dont wanna go digging for bugs or worms lol I've heard you can feed them some people food but i have nc as to what exactly i kinda figured fruits and veggies well im not sure abt fruits and what types of veggies do they like or are healthy for them? thanks once again for all the help y'all!!
smile.png

Lettuce Some corn not allot because it makes them fat macaroni potatoes cat food bread they will eat pretty much anything they know whats good and whats not put it in there if they eat it its good

In my opinion, chickens are like little piggies....mine get...any melon..especially dureing the summer months, they get the rinds of ANY melon...lettuce, broccoli....peas...cooked carrots...cooked beats...cooked green beans.( left overs from the table) Tomato diced up...grapes...( especially when they start to shrivel up cause we dont eat them fast enough...( just cut them in half) Hard boiled eggs ( smashed with the shells if they are laying age) left over pasta..cooked..no sauces. They will eat most anything!

WOW lots of good ideas lol i kinda figured they were pigs when they tried to eat the polish off my nails lol

ok so is thee anything i shouldnt give them?? thanks again

no citrus! Im not sure they will try to eat it or not, but I heard its not good for them.....I was thinking...you can also give them cooked rice...plain yogurt...uncooked oatmeal...the list is really endless!

My chickens also love melon of any type, they also love steamed rice which is the majority of the feed we feed them, they especially love warm steamed rice on a cold morning. Plus they love to eat fresh fruits from our yard figs, blackberries and boysenberries.

Last edited:
Ok so how abt the bird treets they sell for like parakeets and stuff? i saw one the other day that had honey and birdseed and things in it anyone ever tried those?

i gave then some dry oatmeal they didnt like it was i supposed to prepare it? lol if so oopsy!!! they may have been scared of my son who wouldnt be quiet too ....... lol poor things they are gonna be brave and fearless by the time they are grown he does know not to touch them though tg!!!

Back
Top Bottom