I need ideas to use for a temporary brooder!!

if you have to use newspaper ..... wrap the outside of that with packing tape ... it will seal any air leaks to keep the heat inside.

newspaper makes excellent insulation --- but in your case where you are using it as 4 walls --- it has air leaks that lets out the precious hot air you are trying to keep inside.

you could also use bricks --- (red bricks) they will absorb the radiant heat from the light bulbs and spread the heat a little more evenly and also release a little of the extra heat during those nighttime cool hours.

Can you disassemble the top and try hanging the light at a lower height? If not do you have a bendable goose neck desk lamp? I have 2 brooders going right now and that is what I am using right now in the little brooder which is a plastic tub. It is working great with a 40 watt bulb since it sits so close. Out in the big brooder which is a ferret cage there is a 250 watt bulb hanging above. If I had a 125 watt bulb I would be able to sit it on top of the wire.

I did the dump the tote thing...
lol.png
hehehe my hubbys Christmas lights

LOL... I would totally dump the tote if it was ours, but since it's SIL's, well...
tongue.png

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUGGESTIONS!!! I knew I could come here and get some good ideas!!
love.gif

I put some foil around the cage and lowered the bulb so that it shone in the side vs. the top. Perfect! Now that side with the bulb is between 85 and 90. Yay!

I'll post some pics of my new babies soon! They are soooo adorable!

Back
Top Bottom