1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need ideas..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by egglicious, May 24, 2011.

1. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    So I just bought my first coop and i'm about to order some chicks. They will come to me six weeks old. I have an area of yard behind the house that is relatively large and rectangular, the coop with run will go back there and I will put a gate up between the fence and house to make a designated area for my flock to free range. I will coop them up at dark, the problem is that on the other side of our fence is green space and I am worried about coons. It would be pretty easy for them to get over the fence and although I feel good about their coop I just know how determined the raccoons cans be. We also have hawks and eagles around that might not wait for the nighttime to hunt my girls. I'm thinking I would like to put some type of netting or wiring from the fence to the house to cover this entire area... has anyone done this? I would really appreciate any help/ideas. I am not crafty AT ALL but maybe I can beg my husband to do something simple. Pictures helps a lot.. thanks!

2. egglicious

May 7, 2011
    Bump [​IMG]

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Pictures DO help a lot...how about a pic of the area and then we will have a better idea of what to suggest?

4. egglicious

May 7, 2011
    I am out of town right now, that's why no pic. Will post one when I get back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by