I need information

JULIE L CORWIN

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
I plan on getting plymouth rock chickens. This will be my first time with this breed. Need to know are they broody?Can they stand the heat well?. I getting females. How many eggs in general do they lay a week? Do they get along as a group? Any info that you can give would be helpful. Thanks

Where do you plan on getting them?
Breeder or hatchery?

My experience with them is good.
Nice layers..about 5 - 7 eggs a week...do fine in the Texas heat.

You will love them!
Do you have a coop built for them yet?

We had two Plymouth Rock pullets, now we're down to one, and she is a very busy, feisty thing. I had read they are calm, docile breed, but she must be an exception. She bosses around the Wyandotte who is a couple weeks older and much larger, and now she goes after the Rainbow we recently acquired to replace the rock we lost. The other pullets will take a rest in the shade, but she is go, go, go all day long, it seems. She's quite entertaining.

I plan on getting plymouth rock chickens. This will be my first time with this breed. Need to know are they broody?Can they stand the heat well?. I getting females. How many eggs in general do they lay a week? Do they get along as a group? Any info that you can give would be helpful. Thanks

Here are some answers for you, I will try to answer them the best I can:
1. I have had some for a few years, almost never go broody. They are usually not that persistent once they go broody, and are easier to break than other breeds.
2. They lay 5-7 eggs per week, at their prime laying age, so above pullet age and under four years.
3.They do get along in the group, but their personalities vary. Some are bossy while others are more mild. However, I would emphasize that they are people friendly and also fit into the group nicely. Usually towards the middle or top end of the pecking order in my case.
4. Heat...they're ok. Not the best, not the worst. They are definitely more cold hardy than heat hardy, but definitely withstand the heat compared to other breeds.

Strains will differ, in temperment and size, at least. Hatchery black laced silver or gold will tend to be smaller than the buff, and the whites are also larger. All have been very nice birds here. The small combs make them more cold hardy, wonderful in Michigan! I've never had breeder (show type) birds, so no help there. Mary

Back
Top Bottom