I need input! I have geese, ducks, roosters, hen, and a problem.[

DarkWater1929

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2015
Redding, California
Hello! I need to hear what you think. I am posting this in the geese section, but might have posted it in Ducks or Chickens, just as well. We are preparing to move. Ultimately, we will purchase a tract of land, and set up a homestead. This may take up to a year, however, as the sale of my home, out of state, is involved.

I have been rehoming my birds. It is so painful! I am down to my dearest ones. I have been so afraid for their safety, once they leave my influence. I have known people to lie about their intentions. The idea makes me feel sick and weak. So, I have: 2 China Geese, one Muscovy duck, and her 2 adopted Pekin ducklings, two cocjin cross roosters, one Americauna hen, and one blind Cuckoo Marans rooster. All but the geese hatched here. The geese have been here so long, that they might as well have hatched here. I love them all to distraction. And they know it.

The geese will come and put their heads up to mine, as I bend over. They nibble at me, but never hard. And, my gander is ferociously protective of me. I feel similarly about the others, for varying reasons.

I had decided to keep them as long as possible, in the hope that a move to a property where we could keep them would happen sooner than later. We live, now, on a ranch where we have been for 13 years, but must move within about six weeks. I was satisfied with my decision, until the well went dry, about a week ago.

We have to bring water in, in barrels and jugs, for everything. The pools for the water birds, which I used to clean twice a day, are dry. I just don't have enough water to fill a pool, when they will foul it within a few hours. Bur, this is not a good situation for them, and I know it.

It will break my heart to part from any of these birds!!! I cry each time I imagine it! And, they seem truly attached to my husband and me. I can hardly stand to imagine what they will think, if I send them away! Will they think we have rejected them? That we don't care? Some will say that I am attributing human emotions, to creatures that are not capable of them. But, if you saw the way they behave toward us, cuddle, get snooty when we are gone for the day, run to us for help, and teach their babies to trust us, you might change your mind.

I have no way to explain to them. They will be confused, and frightened. That is when they always come to us for comfort, and we will not be there. And then, too, someone may harm them. My sweet, special babies.

How bad is the limited water? I would do anything to keep them safe, if they were truly in danger. Are they? What do you think?

Thank you for any input. Thank you, too, for being people who might, actually, understand.

Patience

I would set up a wire fence that the ducks, chickens, and geese can fit their heads through. Then, they won't be getting in the pool completely and trashing it. They won't be mad or sad, it will only be temporary and doesn't hurt them in the least. Ducks just need to have enough water to wash their bills. Why can't you take them with you when you move?

I am so sorry that you are having to rehome your birds. It's clearly heartbreaking for you.

I would also worry that they would be not as well cared for by anyone else. I have only rehomed one bird -- a rooster that was totally out of control and now lives in a rooster flock at my veterinarian's farm. I have more experience with dogs -- one I had rehomed through a rescue group when my circumstances changed and several that became mine through rescue groups. I think that no matter how attached our animals are to us, they are resilient and will adapt to new people.

I was lucky when I rehomed my sweet dog. The foster mom has kept me in the loop, so I know my girl's new family adores her, and she is happy with her home, her human siblings and her canine brother. Knowing that makes it easier, but I still miss her.

How awful about the well! You sure didn't need that additional stress!

As far as the water goes, while the ducks and geese will miss their pools, I think they will be okay as long as there is enough water for them to submerge their nares.

I hope your sweet babies get good homes, and that you will -- someday -- be able to have birds to love again.

Hello! I need to hear what you think. I am posting this in the geese section, but might have posted it in Ducks or Chickens, just as well. We are preparing to move. Ultimately, we will purchase a tract of land, and set up a homestead. This may take up to a year, however, as the sale of my home, out of state, is involved.

I have been rehoming my birds. It is so painful! I am down to my dearest ones. I have been so afraid for their safety, once they leave my influence. I have known people to lie about their intentions. The idea makes me feel sick and weak. So, I have: 2 China Geese, one Muscovy duck, and her 2 adopted Pekin ducklings, two cocjin cross roosters, one Americauna hen, and one blind Cuckoo Marans rooster. All but the geese hatched here. The geese have been here so long, that they might as well have hatched here. I love them all to distraction. And they know it.

The geese will come and put their heads up to mine, as I bend over. They nibble at me, but never hard. And, my gander is ferociously protective of me. I feel similarly about the others, for varying reasons.

I had decided to keep them as long as possible, in the hope that a move to a property where we could keep them would happen sooner than later. We live, now, on a ranch where we have been for 13 years, but must move within about six weeks. I was satisfied with my decision, until the well went dry, about a week ago.

We have to bring water in, in barrels and jugs, for everything. The pools for the water birds, which I used to clean twice a day, are dry. I just don't have enough water to fill a pool, when they will foul it within a few hours. Bur, this is not a good situation for them, and I know it.

It will break my heart to part from any of these birds!!! I cry each time I imagine it! And, they seem truly attached to my husband and me. I can hardly stand to imagine what they will think, if I send them away! Will they think we have rejected them? That we don't care? Some will say that I am attributing human emotions, to creatures that are not capable of them. But, if you saw the way they behave toward us, cuddle, get snooty when we are gone for the day, run to us for help, and teach their babies to trust us, you might change your mind.

I have no way to explain to them. They will be confused, and frightened. That is when they always come to us for comfort, and we will not be there. And then, too, someone may harm them. My sweet, special babies.

How bad is the limited water? I would do anything to keep them safe, if they were truly in danger. Are they? What do you think?

Thank you for any input. Thank you, too, for being people who might, actually, understand.

Patience
That's not so many birds, wait until the last possible minute before giving them up. If you do absolutely have to re-home them, is it possible to re-home them together?

Rehoming can also be a good experience. Be picky get to know who is adopting them. My girl precious (african production goose) and I had been together for 2 years. She fell in love with one of my new dewlap ganders from last year. The 2 were committed to each other. Well still are! I posted what I was looking for for them on one of my facebook groups and got lots of requests for them. Finally one girl stood out we did allot of talking and my 2 babies got a forever home. I get weekly pictures. The couple have adopted all the new hatch lings she has given them and they are a important part of her farm. Here is a picture of her standing the 3 babies she adopted and BK her man. There are allot of great folks out there you just have to find one if you decide to rehome

Attachments

• 288669176_544746110656856_246517608903919961_n.jpg
    288669176_544746110656856_246517608903919961_n.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 5

Patience
Geese, duck, and chickens can drink out of a waterer for the necessary time it will take to move. A pond or bathing area in less important As long as they can stay hydrated, they will be fine. Geese will mourn the separation. They can live up to 20 years and become very attached. In many ways they are like dogs and cats. They are trainable and develop strong bonds. Feathers don’t mean that they aren’t intelligent. Mine know their names and come individually when I call them to me. I have 6 of them, my best friend Charlie (a gander) runs calling to me when I start my zero-turn mower. He climbs up on it to ride with me. The other geese run along behind. They are 5 months old. this Bond will get stronger with age. Try to keep your guys as long as possible. Good luck!

Patience
I'm really not understanding the pressure here, did I miss something? You're happy with the deicsion, but it's killing you? Did you make this decision or someone else? Can't you order water? Harvest water? Filter water? As long as they can clear their clear their beaks they should be fine without pools.

I don't agree with the fencing off pans or tubs with wire, they swish around to clear their beaks, you can just as easily fill a bucket and leave room so they don't splash and for the 3 of mine the water stays fairly clear, sometimes a little cloudy by end of day.

Back
Top Bottom