I need more info

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by secuono, Sep 17, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Alright, I cave, I need more info about this.
    I've read a lot about this and some say you can 'cure' it, others you can get rid of the symptoms and they get better but are carriers. The rest say it is fatal and that's it, cull. It's supposed to be in the ground and all around us all the time, even if you don't have birds.
    I'm talking about Marek's.
    What is true? Some of the birds, they give it their all so I want to get them over the symptoms and get better. What would be the best way to care for them and what do I give them to get them back to normal?
    Can birds with a bum leg or worse, can this neurological issue be fixed? Or will they always be paralyzed and need special care forever?
    I have a hen, she has been broody, but one day her leg turned into a limp. Then 2 days later, her other leg has gone bad and one wing she cannot move. She was up in the nests, I brought her down to eat and drink. Tomorrow she is going into the outdoor hutch. But since she cannot move much what so ever, I'm worried how she will do. She is now a year old, one of my original Jap mix hens, still has the orange leg band. I thought older birds wouldn't get sick or at least it wouldn't be as common. She has not lost any weight, missed a few meals, but that all.
    I have another, a Cochin hen, young. She is in the hutch and has started to make her way around even with her bum leg. She hasn't gotten worse, she is a fighter and doesn't accept failure. She did loose weight, but has slowly gained.
    I also have a little roo, he is near a year old as well. He has a bad leg and has gotten beat up by other roosters. So he is in the hutch, but he can move. No weight loss.
    The only one who can't is the Jap hen.
    I want to know as much about how to help them as I can. What drugs, food, holistic meds, etc I can try.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I know nothing about it.. however, you might want to update your title to include what you're looking for info on. You'll be more likely to get responses! :)

3. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Mareck's is fatal. It is caused by a fast growing/moving cancer that grows around the spinal cord and causes paralysis. It is very contagious and yes it is in the ground but if your chickens have a marek's vaccination it should stop them from getting marecks until they get old and don't have very good immunity anymore and can get it. Hopefully this helps!

4. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    Marek's disease is fatal. If you have a bird with it you cull it.

The virus is spread through the feather dander and survives in the environment for a very long time.

You can vaccinate young chicks for it if they haven't yet been exposed to the virus.

5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Why do so many people say it isn't fatal then?
    I do not know if this is what the 3 birds have, I haven't taken any to the state vet yet. I'm giving them a few more days before I use starter fluid to put them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by