I need my Chicken Enclosure to be Fox Proof

With that large a perimeter (250' was it?) you're going to need something on the order of the type of fence top barrier used to keep cats in but pointing the other way to keep the foxes out. Or an electric wire. Do an online search for cat fencing to see what I'm suggesting, it sounds like what you've mentioned. What I'm reading is that foxes can jump up to 3', but can easily use their paws and claws to climb 6' and more.
Yes that's literally exactly what I was talking about. Any tips on that; have you tried it before?

Say that one more time, but slower lol. Pretty cat! Love the eyes

English is my first language until I've had a gin and tonic and then it's bobblygook :)

Not my cat, but yes very beautiful. Where I lived a few years ago our next door neighbour did this around her entire garden (~200ft) and it did keep the cats in, so I would imagine it would keep foxes out as it's hard to get past.

The digging bit of my comment I meant that it wouldn't stop foxes from digging under - you'd need something else like a predator apron for that.

edit - love your avatar!

What I would do (I've thought about this as I'd like to make a "catio" someday for our inside boys,) as the most economical and doable method, is to buy lengths of EMT electrical conduit, and cut into lengths, make a jig for bending 90 degree arcs, and go with that. Regular ol' chicken wire would do for the barrier as I can't see a fox clinging to the top trying to chew through; if you've got raccoons that's another story and you'd want something heavier. I've also considered using cheaper shelving brackets. Basically just anything to get that barrier out a sufficient distance to discourage trying to circumvent it.

What I would do (I've thought about this as I'd like to make a "catio" someday for our inside boys,) as the most economical and doable method, is to buy lengths of EMT electrical conduit, and cut into lengths, make a jig for bending 90 degree arcs, and go with that. Regular ol' chicken wire would do for the barrier as I can't see a fox clinging to the top trying to chew through; if you've got raccoons that's another story and you'd want something heavier. I've also considered using cheaper shelving brackets. Basically just anything to get that barrier out a sufficient distance to discourage trying to circumvent it.
No raccoons, only foxes, and an occasional possum. Would that be very expensive to do?

English is my first language until I've had a gin and tonic and then it's bobblygook :)

Not my cat, but yes very beautiful. Where I lived a few years ago our next door neighbour did this around her entire garden (~200ft) and it did keep the cats in, so I would imagine it would keep foxes out as it's hard to get past.

The digging bit of my comment I meant that it wouldn't stop foxes from digging under - you'd need something else like a predator apron for that.

edit - love your avatar!
Haha thank you, I just changed it to that. Thank you so much for the link and your help! Hopefully we can keep all the swipers out :mad:

Bending two or three foot lengths of conduit into 90° arcs, attaching (assuming you have wooden posts) with a couple of conduit brackets, then zip-tying the hex chicken wire to the arcs is probably the cheapest physical barrier you could put up. A 10' length of 1/2" EMT is less than $4 here, and I'd think you could get 3 "brackets" out of it. A 150' of 2" poultry netting is 50-60 bucks off Amazon if you couldn't find it locally. Also, the plastic type netting that is widely available might be enough to keep the critters out at a considerable savings, but I'm not sure I'd trust it. It might be a false economy.

We are installing an automatic door from their coop into the run as well, ensuring their safety.
Might help if it works as programmed every.single.day, not sure I'd count on it.

No raccoons, only foxes, and an occasional possum. Would that be very expensive to do?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1611614212109.png

Depopulating the den isn't an option for you?

Foxes can work their way over high fences, especially around bends and corners. Great doggers as well, but you've mentioned countering that. I've seen them chew through chicken wire of you're not talking about hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom