I need people to take better care of their chickens😣 (Broken swollen toe)

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Yall.......I'm going to just stop buying chickens from backyard breeders.....yall have seen my experience.🙄 Anyway, I have another little one that needs help.

When the lady brought her to me she said, "She broke her toe on the way over in the cage", I said ok, I'll doctor her up. I got her home and put antibiotic ointment on the cut (it looked almost cut in half on the bottom) tried to wrap it but it wouldn't stay on. It wasn't swollen then, that was Monday. Now its super swollen.

She isn't limping. Eating and drinking are normal. It isn't hot to the touch. She'll lose the end of the toe I'm sure. Does it look swollen from trauma, or infection?

Attachments

• 20210826_130609.jpg
    20210826_130609.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210826_130627.jpg
    20210826_130627.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210826_130644.jpg
    20210826_130644.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 16
Yall.......I'm going to just stop buying chickens from backyard breeders.....yall have seen my experience.🙄 Anyway, I have another little one that needs help.

When the lady brought her to me she said, "She broke her toe on the way over in the cage", I said ok, I'll doctor her up. I got her home and put antibiotic ointment on the cut (it looked almost cut in half on the bottom) tried to wrap it but it wouldn't stay on. It wasn't swollen then, that was Monday. Now its super swollen.

She isn't limping. Eating and drinking are normal. It isn't hot to the touch. She'll lose the end of the toe I'm sure. Does it look swollen from trauma, or infection?
That toes is necrotic, the tissue has died, if this were a human patient we would amputate that toe. You could bring to a Vet for treatment, if you want to fork out money; but it could just as others stated 'dry up and fall off'. My only worry would be infection getting into the bone, best suggestion is to keep her out of mud and maybe some antibiotics. Good luck - keep us updated!

Oh and as with any livestock it doesn't matter how good your animal husbandry is they will get injured - I laughed once when my Vet sent me my bill for my mare injuring herself - the comments went like this: "During the mares' daily stampede Celeste and Juvia ran into each other causing Celeste to trip, fall and strain her tendon". I loved the 'daily stampede' bit hahaha. Same with chickens - they get roughhousing, flying about, get their toes stuck in things, etc.... as bad as children!

That toes is necrotic, the tissue has died, if this were a human patient we would amputate that toe. You could bring to a Vet for treatment, if you want to fork out money; but it could just as others stated 'dry up and fall off'. My only worry would be infection getting into the bone, best suggestion is to keep her out of mud and maybe some antibiotics. Good luck - keep us updated!

Oh and as with any livestock it doesn't matter how good your animal husbandry is they will get injured - I laughed once when my Vet sent me my bill for my mare injuring herself - the comments went like this: "During the mares' daily stampede Celeste and Juvia ran into each other causing Celeste to trip, fall and strain her tendon". I loved the 'daily stampede' bit hahaha. Same with chickens - they get roughhousing, flying about, get their toes stuck in things, etc.... as bad as children!
I have her inside our garage on clean pine shavings!😊 With her olive egger best friend that flips out anytime they are separated. Lol

Yea you have a good point! I just always doubt people take care of their animals as good as I take care of mine😂 Which I'm sure people think the same of me lol

I have her inside our garage on clean pine shavings!😊 With her olive egger best friend that flips out anytime they are separated. Lol

Yea you have a good point! I just always doubt people take care of their animals as good as I take care of mine😂 Which I'm sure people think the same of me lol
Should be ok, chickens are tough ol' birds. I would say the majority of people strive to do good by their livestock, I give people the benefit of doubt.

That's good. I had a chick from a hatchery arrive with her middle tow dead last year. She had gotten it folded into the box crease. The swelling may or may not calm down to match her other toes, I've had both on my birds

Back
Top Bottom