I need pressure canner reccomendations please

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NancyP, Jun 20, 2009.

1. NancyP

NancyP Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Should I go with the presto that is cheaper or is there something better and how do I decide what size to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this and will gladly take any help I can get.
    Thanks, Nancy

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have an 30 qt All-American 930 pressure canner made by Wisconsin Aluminum http://www.goodmans.net/get_list_117.htm I've used it lots every year since 1972 without any problems. Canning isn't hard or dangerous just read the Blue Book.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My pressure canner is much smaller than Opa's. I can't remember what it is. I think it's a Mirro 16qt or so. I got it on ebay last year for about $50 and used it quite a bit last summer with no problems. I agree with Opa: learn how to use it and don't be afraid of it (ok, maybe you can cultivate a healthy respect for it).

4. I love my 23 qt Presto, years ago I started w/the same thing but it was a tiny bit smaller and had the weight that you had to count 10 shakes or rattles per minute and I miss that soothing sound now that I upgraded. My son-in-law uses a tiny 2 qt Presto and makes the most awesome bbq ribs...I don't know how to use his smaller one since it doesn't have a pressure gauge but he just "does it" [​IMG]

5. Quote:The all- american is the way to go. We had one before with the rubber seal and it was a pain. About every year you need a new one. It pays to shop around, there can be a big difference in price. I found ours offered at a small hardware store in the midwest about $15 less than other places and they had free shipping on orders over $100.

Steve in NC

6. PeggySue

PeggySue Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    I just ordered my first canner from Amazon, and am currently acquiring the "stuff" to go with it (The Blue Book is on its way!), got jars today and other gadgetry...
    I have that "healthy respect" that Jenn spoke of, so what I did last night was put some water in it and took it for a test drive.
    I'm just now seeing red in my tomato patch, so I don't have anything ready to can yet, unless I want to go buy some produce, which I may do with green beans for my first real stab at it.
    But doing that test drive really helped a LOT. It taught me the basics of it and I got to see how it worked, and it made it far less intimidating!
    Mine is a 16qt Presto, and I can't wait to use it for real.
    I definitely recommend the test drive!!

7. Another great thing about a pressure canner is actually cooking with it. It cuts hours of cooking time down to minutes.

We raise alot of turkeys and usually have a few "extra" toms so we put the leg 1/4's in the canner,10 minutes at 15 pounds and it's fall off the bone tender. then we bag the meat for taco's, casseroles etc.

Steve in NC

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I haven't learned to cook with mine yet. Any recommendations for books or places to learn how to use it to cook?

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    Quote:Agreed. I have this same model and I love it!

The only thing is that I use a turkey fryer base and propane to cook since I have a ceramic top stove and that 30 qt is heaaaavyyyy.

10. PeggySue

PeggySue Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    Quote:Then I want to talk to you!!! [​IMG]I had planned on doing exactly that! I have plans in my head (not yet put into action) for an outdoor canning station on my covered and wood fence enclosed patio area.
    But when I opened the box, the first thing I saw was that wretched yellow warning saying NOT to do that.
    Honestly, I'm thinking it's to protect idiots from themselves, but I am still studying it cautiously JUST IN CASE.......
    Thoughts?? Suggestions???
    Oh boy if I don't get off here I will be late for work...work is such an annoying interference to FUN stuff!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: