I need pressure canner reccomendations please

NancyP

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Bonifay,Florida
Should I go with the presto that is cheaper or is there something better and how do I decide what size to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this and will gladly take any help I can get.
Thanks, Nancy

My pressure canner is much smaller than Opa's. I can't remember what it is. I think it's a Mirro 16qt or so. I got it on ebay last year for about $50 and used it quite a bit last summer with no problems. I agree with Opa: learn how to use it and don't be afraid of it (ok, maybe you can cultivate a healthy respect for it).

I love my 23 qt Presto, years ago I started w/the same thing but it was a tiny bit smaller and had the weight that you had to count 10 shakes or rattles per minute and I miss that soothing sound now that I upgraded. My son-in-law uses a tiny 2 qt Presto and makes the most awesome bbq ribs...I don't know how to use his smaller one since it doesn't have a pressure gauge but he just "does it"
wink.png

Quote:
The all- american is the way to go. We had one before with the rubber seal and it was a pain. About every year you need a new one. It pays to shop around, there can be a big difference in price. I found ours offered at a small hardware store in the midwest about $15 less than other places and they had free shipping on orders over $100.

Steve in NC

I just ordered my first canner from Amazon, and am currently acquiring the "stuff" to go with it (The Blue Book is on its way!), got jars today and other gadgetry...
I have that "healthy respect" that Jenn spoke of, so what I did last night was put some water in it and took it for a test drive.
I'm just now seeing red in my tomato patch, so I don't have anything ready to can yet, unless I want to go buy some produce, which I may do with green beans for my first real stab at it.
But doing that test drive really helped a LOT. It taught me the basics of it and I got to see how it worked, and it made it far less intimidating!
Mine is a 16qt Presto, and I can't wait to use it for real.
I definitely recommend the test drive!!

Another great thing about a pressure canner is actually cooking with it. It cuts hours of cooking time down to minutes.

We raise alot of turkeys and usually have a few "extra" toms so we put the leg 1/4's in the canner,10 minutes at 15 pounds and it's fall off the bone tender. then we bag the meat for taco's, casseroles etc.

Steve in NC

Quote:
Agreed. I have this same model and I love it!

The only thing is that I use a turkey fryer base and propane to cook since I have a ceramic top stove and that 30 qt is heaaaavyyyy.

Quote:
Then I want to talk to you!!!
bow.gif
I had planned on doing exactly that! I have plans in my head (not yet put into action) for an outdoor canning station on my covered and wood fence enclosed patio area.
But when I opened the box, the first thing I saw was that wretched yellow warning saying NOT to do that.
Honestly, I'm thinking it's to protect idiots from themselves, but I am still studying it cautiously JUST IN CASE.......
Thoughts?? Suggestions???
Oh boy if I don't get off here I will be late for work...work is such an annoying interference to FUN stuff!!!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom