I need rooster 101

Pics
I loved my 1 yr old Bantam Cochin rooster, so handsome, but he was brutal when mating, he even dislocated one hen's hip. Got 10 new chicks this year and since I only want eggs, he was relocated to another farm. Didn't want him hurting one of the 9 wk olds in his male bravado.

I do agree that there are mean roosters out there lord knows I've had a few.
The thing is they were always mistreated to begin with and never raised up in my flocks pecking order. These were always mature roos and not young guys trying to understand how stuff works. I always gave them a chance but I've only got to get flogged once and its off to dumpling town.Yesterday I introduced my bitty faverolles to the flock Hubert my roo was awesome scratching treats for the kids the hens acted like they had always been there but my little roo decided to puff up at my lead hen one swift peck later and he is a well behaved boy.He will remember that is not acceptable and most likely won't try it again since the outcome was a bell ringing. Broke my heart but I knew that hen gift wraps butt whippings for bratty chicks and he's got to learn. Honestly he got off easy she was in a good mood.

I do agree that there are mean roosters out there lord knows I've had a few.
The thing is they were always mistreated to begin with and never raised up in my flocks pecking order. These were always mature roos and not young guys trying to understand how stuff works. I always gave them a chance but I've only got to get flogged once and its off to dumpling town.Yesterday I introduced my bitty faverolles to the flock Hubert my roo was awesome scratching treats for the kids the hens acted like they had always been there but my little roo decided to puff up at my lead hen one swift peck later and he is a well behaved boy.He will remember that is not acceptable and most likely won't try it again since the outcome was a bell ringing. Broke my heart but I knew that hen gift wraps butt whippings for bratty chicks and he's got to learn. Honestly he got off easy she was in a good mood.

So true! Those older hens will teach the young boys manners, and mine have done in my multi-generational flock for a while now. I am down to one rooster, but did have two who were brothers and the less dominant one would actually do the most chasing. The dominant roo got into the back yard and my dog killed him, so the less dominant is in charge now, and he's a perfect gentleman. I too get rid of roosters who flog - neither of these did nor does the one I still have seem at all human aggressive.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom