I need sleep and my dog wont stop barking...please help :-(

let them sleep with you, if they shut up it'll all be fine
big_smile.png

thanks everyone for all your suggestions...

the dogs cant be left outside all day unattended they dont have the coats for that they are both very fair and it is nasty cold out there

she is walked for about 30 min 3 - 4 X a day again cause of the cold she does not like to be out there any longer

I have 4 different styles of "KONG" toys that i stuff with different goodies and also other chewies like nyla bones and a cow hoof ect...so she is not bored...its like a child buy them thousands in toys and they want to play with the box I have backed off on stuffing the kongs with as much treats/food cause i was finding at first she was waking to have a BM in the middle of the night

she has been to the vet...not UTI he wants to put her on meds but i only want to go that route if there is nothing else i can do i would like to try and "re-train" her if at all possible

because dh and i work shift and we work opposite shifts they are not in their crates all day ...like today..i have to be at work at 2 so i leave at 130...
dogs go to crates at 130...DH is home at 315..so they will be in their crates for just under 2 hrs..they will be out till 10 30-11pm when i get home from work and dh and i decide to go to bed

so far the dogs have been in separate crates...I am wondering about putting them in the same crate (i have a large one that i can use)..but i am worried if this may cause more stress to freckles cause now abby and her are competing for treats bedding ect...

Four kongs is all the same toy regardless of filling.

If that many 30 min walks isn't wearing out the dog, put a jacket on her and give her two one hour walks. Or one good half hour RUN. Or find a pool you can swim her in, they're out there. The point is to tire the dog and walkies is insufficient for many many dogs.

Large raw beef bones my present enough of a challenge to keep her busy.

Large beef pizzles also work, or large woven ones.

Obedience classes tire dogs and work on the relationship.

Sports offer something to do.

Putting a stressful dog in a crate with one that isn't, that is a pup, encourages bonding to each other and less listening to you AND the pup will pick up stress behaviors from the older dog.

When I had a particularly bad rehab we once hung a bike innertube, from a bungy, screwed into the ceiling. Having a tug toy wore her out. Always take the metal part out of an innertube before using it.

Even placing a low board across door frames, size depending on the size of the dog, can change things up and add interest - and ... tire the dog.

You might consider finding a place for her to go and play all day with rowdier dogs, a friends house or a day care.

Venting stress requires activity either chewing, or playing or learning, or something new.

I wonder if your older dog starts barking when the pup wakes up and moves around in her crate a little. Like, hey mom, the puppy is awake!
I wonder what would happen if you crated them together at night? Not in the older dogs crate, because that is her's and she might get posessive. But a neutral crate?
Either that or put the crate in two different rooms so the older one can't see the pup.
Your older one looks like she has some rat terrier in her. I raise rats and they are very smart dogs. Yes, they can get yippy, but during the night when they bark there is usually something going on. I suspect that she is trying to tell you something with her barking. Could you have a mouse running in the house at night?

Back
Top Bottom