I need some advice for my duck

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
My female Mallard is limping on one leg today. She puts a little weight on it when walking. When standing, she holds her leg up. I'm thinking a horse stepped on it.

I picked her up and felt her leg. Her nee (I don't really know what it's called) feels bigger than the other one. It must be broken shouldn't it? I put her in a pen with her buddy's. She looks like she feels good besides the broken leg.

Also, I have her and two males. I know that's not good. I'm trying rehome one of the males. Did the two males do this to her?

Thank you! I'll update on her progress. Right now I need some advice.

Here she is.

She holds her leg up
103583_duck_with_broken_leg_001.jpg

This is a blurry picture, sorry.
103583_duck_with_broken_leg_003.jpg

103583_duck_with_broken_leg_004.jpg

This is where it is swollen. This isn't her leg.
103583_duck_with_broken_leg_005_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Has her foot always been grey colored? I would be very worried about the foot if the discoloration is new. Without seeing her move it is hard to say what it is. It could be a slipped tendon, in which case you can hold the tendon in place with koban since it is stretchy and will give with her range of motion but offer support while she heals.

It is possible that with two males, that mating behavior may have injured her, but it could be other things.

I would start giving her vitamin/probiotic/electrolytes, and let her swim in lukewarm water deep enough to support her entire weight, for as long as you can, as many times as you can.

See if a search of the duck forum on "slipped tendon" and "leg injury" turn up something that might help. We have not had to deal with something like that here yet - hope never to.

But give her nutritional support, a quiet place, get her weight off the leg as much as possible are good starts. A splint sounds like it may be the best solution, but see what other advice comes along.

hugs.gif

My Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says to keep ducks with lameness in a clean, quiet pen and allow for a lot of time swimming in a deep, warm water source as often as possible. I thought splint, too, but I think my ducks would find a way out of that. Storey's also suggests a balanced diet and a poultry vitamin in the water until the duck is healed. Apparently lameness is common & easily treated but can sometimes signal something missing in the diet.
Wish I could help more, but it sounds like you are doing everything right to me. Good luck.

My female Call was VERY lame for the majority of the spring, but with ample swimming time, she has recovered to about 95% function. She still limps a little bit when she first gets up, but overall does fine. She's happy as can be, too. I did not feel any breaks in her legs and in fact x-rayed her and found no breaks, either.
smile.png
I hope your little Mallard feels better soon.

Back
Top Bottom