I need some advice on adding Bantam hens to my existing flock of standard size

ErnieBerley

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
Marshall NC (western NC mountains)
I have 4 Ameraucana (3 hens, 1 rooster), 2 polish hens and a splash silkie rooster (he runs the flock...lol) . Mine all get along great now, but my Ameraucana roo is really big - he has 2 of my Am. hens almost bare on their hind quarters from aggressive mating.

Question - a local person has Mille fluer hens and I've wanted to add some of these for a long time, they are so beautiful!! do you all think these bantams will mix well with the flock? I dont' know anything about generalized Mille Fluer behavior. i will have them isolated for sure for the first week or 2, a run within my large run with the flock. thankx

When you keep everything as pets, and won't sell or cull any of them, you can wind up in a mess of misery. Not all birds get along. A lot depends on your space and how your coop/run is set up, but most of us at one time or another will wind up with a bird or birds that do not work in the flock we have.

Chicken math gets most of us, and I can certainly understand wanting to pick up those pretty birds, but chicken math really has to work both ways, as most often the coop/run do NOT change size. If you can't subtract birds, be wary of adding birds.

I keep a flock, but the birds in the flock change. I can admit that some birds I like better than others. I keep those birds, and let others go. A happy flock can only be arranged by controlling who is in the flock. Wishing they would all be nice won't work.

SO measure your coop, count your birds, and go into this knowing, if I take these birds, I might have to get rid of others, or just keep the birds you have.

Mrs K

So everyone that's helped - I got the 2 d'uccles last week and I've had no problems so far, some pecking from my golden polish (she's the lowest on the existing totem pole) - the d'uccles have a big wisteria vine to hide in . The big easter egger roo is relaxed now, which is great. I know things can change and I will watch diligently. These sweet d'uccles were kept under a porch in the dark all of their life, no grass and not much light at all. Their feet had mud balls that are so hard it's like cement. And 1 of them, the white one, had a toe cut off (the previous owner must have been trying to cut the mud out) . anyway, i'm going to get the owner's remaining 3 hens today, I can't bear to think of these living in the dark and not pecking in grass in the sun. :) thanks for all your advice
Zoe and Amelia mille fleur.jpg

Sweet Zoe mille fleur.jpg

I have 4 large Easter Eggers, and over the last 1.5 years added in 2 rescue bantam Polish (about 1/3 the size of the EEs at about 2 pounds) and 1 Old English Game Bantam that clocks in at just under a pound. The Old English runs the place, and uses the others as blankets and umbrellas when she pleases, and everyone gets along just fine. However, if I had a rooster, there's no way I'd risk the safety of any of the littles. They're just too small to not get hurt if a large bird tried to mount or fight them. If you could keep everyone separated that's one thing, but I wouldn't mix with a rooster that's already shown to be aggressively mating the large girls.

Yes. Things can happen within minutes so watch carefully that the bigger Hens don't corner one and try to peck her to death. That's why I don't have standards with my Bantams.
My little barred rock bantam hen ruled the roost. Even against hens 3.5 lbs bigger than she was. She was a force to be reckoned with. We called her President Penguin as she used to sit up on top of a fence giving speeches while all the hens below looked up listening.

I have 4 Ameraucana (3 hens, 1 rooster), 2 polish hens and a splash silkie rooster (he runs the flock...lol) . Mine all get along great now, but my Ameraucana roo is really big - he has 2 of my Am. hens almost bare on their hind quarters from aggressive mating.

Question - a local person has Mille fluer hens and I've wanted to add some of these for a long time, they are so beautiful!! do you all think these bantams will mix well with the flock? I dont' know anything about generalized Mille Fluer behavior. i will have them isolated for sure for the first week or 2, a run within my large run with the flock. thankx
I don't see anything wrong about having bantams with normal size chickens... they are virtually the same... bantams are just smaller...

Back
Top Bottom