I need some advice on "Dumb Chickens"

bertio

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
I have a perfectly good coop and penned area for my chickens. Hovever, there are at least 4 of my 10 chickens that insist on sitting on a ledge outside the coop. How do i get them to understand that it's warm and dry inside? I tried locking them up at night and letting them out in the morning. Think they got the message? Not.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Are you talking about them not wanting to go in at night? If so, try a light in the coop. It has worked for many chickens reluctant to go into their coop at night.

Have you noticed where they are in the "pecking order"? They may be getting punked by the other chickens. A method I've used is when you put chicks/chickens into a new coop, you leave them closed in for three days so it sticks in their lil chicken sized brains where there home is. Finally, maybe they just really like the outdoors over being "cooped up" Speaking for myself, even if its raining, which it does sometimes in the Northwest, I would rather be outdoors than stuck in the house. Hope it works out.

Thanks very much fo ryour replies.. Yes, I will try the light. Sounds like a good plan.
Next, I'll lock them in the coop for a while.
If this doesn't work, well they can stay outside if they wish.

Unfortunately, if you leave them outside they are prone to predation. Even if they have an enclosed run there is a risk that something will be able to get to them. It's easier to ensure their safety in a coop. Run spaces are easier to breach because predators have all night to work at it.

Good luck.

The top is covered with netting. The sides are chicken wire. I have a 5 strand electric fence running around the coop. The lowest wire is 5 inches off the ground. I wouldn't want to be the poor animal that messes with the wire.

Back
Top Bottom