I need some advice pleeeeeeeeeeze!!!!!!

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
Well, thanks to this website, I feel normal wanting new chickies, even with fall and winter approaching
tongue.png
. I really need a voice of reason here. My wonderful husband knows that if he says "no" without even saying no, to more chickens right now, he will have to deal with some grief from me. (No, I'm not a princess, I'm just very independant and run most, if not all, the resposibilities around here anyway.) He has no problem with getting chicks in the spring, like I had planned. He didn't even (hardly) bat an eyelash when I told him I wanted to build another large coop, even though we just finished our other one early this summer. He really is wonderful, but because he is so easy going, he doesn't usually tell me why I "shouldn't" do something. Usually, if I decided I'm going to do something, I do it. But with this, I am still on the fence. I have been playing with the idea of either hatching some of my own eggs, or purchasing some chicks, or both. I was fine not getting any now, because the website I use to order chicks, were sold out for the year of many of the breeds that I wanted, including Red and Blue Silkies. Then, they updated their site. Not only do they now have some Red and Blue Silkies available, they also have some of the other breeds I was wanting! I know that the best thing to do is to wait until spring, when the new coop is already built and the chicks can be put outside at a reasonable age. If I were to get chicks now, they would be ready to go out right in the middle of winter. Not sure I want to deal with that worry. Part of me really wants to get some now, but the rational part of me, boo, says I should wait. Any advice????

Last edited:
If I could suggest, try building the coop first that way when they are ready for outside it will be all done and waiting for them. Once you are done with the coop you can see how you feel. I have made the mistake of getting chickens with no place to live yet or buying something really quick and not being happy with what I bought. I know typical chicken newbie!
big_smile.png
If you have a home for them and you still want them, I would say get them.
thumbsup.gif

Well, (beware, I am an enabler!) if you dont think your hubby would get toooo upset- If I was you, I would look for an excellent breeder, and order eggs from them to hatch. Hatchery stock is nice too, but I think you'll be happier in the long run with non-hatchery stock. Since you have a brooder, just keep them in there 8 weeks instead of six, then they'll be bigger and stronger for the winter weather. (thats what I'm doing, but this is my last hatch till spring) If winter hasnt hit you hard just yet, you guys could get that new coop built now, and have it ready for the new chicks.

Nothing beats the winter doldrums like hatching and new born chicks!

I am planning on hatching throughout fall and winter, BUT we have a basement that is dry and we can house them in until it is warm enough to put them outside with the rest of the chickens. So if you have a basement or heated garage and you are willing to put up with housing them then I would say go for it, you will have eggs by summer. That is my plan! Plus if I go to any swaps in the spring or summer my birds will be all nice and feathered out by then.

Last edited:
Wow, your husband sounds just like mine! Oh I love him
big_smile.png
And like another poster said, I'm an enabler too lol So me personally, I'd get them.. even though they'll need more TLC but that's half the fun, right??

The OP sounds a lot like me. I normally have already made up my mind what I'm going to do before getting input and asking for opinions. It's probably too late to say....don't to it!! I think the OP has probably already ordered the chicks.
lol.png
Major enabler here.

Back
Top Bottom