i need some advise because MY CHICKENS HATE ME!!!!

L*A*G* :

it is oct now and that make my BO 7 MONTHS OLD i repeat 7 MONTHS OLD and STILL has not even looked at the nesting boxes. YES I am sure they have not got a secret nest some where in the woods. what did i do, why O why won't she lay?????
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
rant.gif
rant.gif

This is not and admonishment.

Animals are not machines. If we are attuned with them and nature, we share our space with them. Some in their nature in return will share their bounty with us. Our care for them should be unconditional. I say should be. WE humans sometimes expect an awful lot from others and not much of ourselves. Do we not expect ourselves to be accepted just as we are?

Some of us were also “late” bloomers and when we did not perform as expected…did it not cause us some stress. Stress is sensed by others, especially by sensitive animals. Chickens being animals of prey…..are extremely sensitive to emotions. Relax and be patience. Love them, pet them, and spoil them. I once read that animals that are spoiled seem to trust more, are happier and better behaved. Go figure.
hmm.png

If you think they may be laying in the woods, keep them confined to their coop/run for a few days- then you will know if they are laying or not. If you do find some ground eggs or they start using the nesting box- then you know! If they are laying, and just won't use the nest box- you can try training them with some fake eggs (or golf balls), and take a hard look at your nest boxes to try to make them more attractive. They like dark, sheltered areas to lay eggs. Hanging a piece of cloth in front of the box can make it more attractive (as well as fake eggs).

One of my flocks consist of 3 BOs and 5 BRs. The BOs are 27 weeks and none are laying as of yet. The comb and wattles on one girl are very red and I think she will start laying any day now. The others are not as developed and it will probably be another couple of weeks. The BRs are 23 weeks and three of the five have started laying. The first BR started laying when she was 20 weeks and one has started each week since. My girls are fed layer crumbles and free range on about 1/4 of an acre everyday.

My other flock (Welsummers, BLRW, Silkie & EEs) start at 21 weeks and go down from there. None of these are laying as of yet.

Don't despair, you should be in eggs soon!

I have an ee that is about a year old, freeloader has not EVER given me one egg. Not a one. And no, it doesn't crow, so I don't think its a he. I think its just lazy.

my buff orps are 26 weeks and still no eggs. My coop is very dark it has some vents but no windows for light. I was wondering if I should put a light in there maybe at night for a few hours? Not sure if I will, I may just let them do what they will.

L*A*G* :

Quote:
what does red wattles have to do w/ anything?

Combs and wattles turn bright red when their hormones are running rampant and they are getting ready to lay. Combs and wattles are a way to guage your flock's health and vitality. When your chickens are molting, their combs will sort of fade to a pale red, when they are sick, same thing. When they are full of themselves, they'll be brighter red etc etc. It's not the only thing to watch for in a chickens health, but it's one thing to pay attention to​

Quote:
what does red wattles have to do w/ anything?

Combs and wattles turn bright red when their hormones are running rampant and they are getting ready to lay.

Good to know! Some of my 19 week old BOs wattles and combs have turned red. They're not squatting yet. A couple of weeks ago, I threatened my 24 wk old australorps, that if I didn't start getting eggs, I was bringing over the BBQ and salt. Got my first 2 eggs that afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom