I need some cheering up....

I have never owned goats, but I have had nearly every other animal as a pet over the years. When we moved to the country, for the horses, I had, for a time: 5 horses, 1 dog, 6 cats, 2 rabbits, and I worried about the 15 goldfish in the horses' water tank, who needed a new home every winter. I did ALL of the animal care, and it totally wore me out.
Maybe it's time to downsize?

You might consider getting out of goats altogether. Or keeping a couple for pets. I raised goats for over 40 years. Had a dairy, a show herd, a hobby herd, and now I am down to two very elderly pets. When they die that's it.

I got so I would refuse to sell kids for pets. All pet goats I saw in this area ended up with a misearable life. I felt it was a lot more humane to sell them for meat. There was a couple not too far from me who had a nice herd but could not bear to sell anything for meat. They ended up being overrrun with goats. Eventually the humane society confiscated them all. There simply are not enough pet homes for all that are born. There simply aren't.

Ok....I'm going to keep my numbers small, sell the high quality buck kids as breeders, etc. and if I have to I'll sell for meat.

Back
Top Bottom