I need some help quick! My chicks keep dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yesterday afternoon I go out to check my month old chicks, and one of them is dead! Then this morning another one was dead? I don't know what to do!! Both of the ones that died are game X EE chicks. And there is another chick that is acting strange!!!! And he is my favorite one!!! HELP PLEASE!!! I just put them all outside. I have been giving them chick starter, and water w/ ACV in it. Do they need grit? Sunshine? What? I did put some new chicks in there with them. They came from a hatchery, but they are on the other side of the brooder. I was wondering if they have a disease of something and gave it to mine? Any help would be just great!!! Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    sounds like your doing everything right???[​IMG] Hope someone can help you out:idunno

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Anyone???

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    oh lord [​IMG] your doing everything perfectly, dont worry about that
    have they eaten anything strange while they're outside?

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Bedding type? What is "acting strange"? Does it have describable symptoms?

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Well the chick that is acting wierd is just kind of moving slow and isn't really running around like the other chicks are doing.
    They have had hay for bedding since they're hatched. I don't think they have eaten anyting weird. All they have had is chick starter and water with ACV in it? They may have eaten some grass & dirt. But that's normal when they're outside. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Were the hatchery chicks vaccinated? I've heard that can cause issues in unvaccinated chicks....

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I don't know? I got them from my friend so I'll have to call her and ask her. [​IMG]

9. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Could the hay be moldy?

10. chickenpickens

chickenpickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Fort Stockton, TX
    I see you're from Texas. I live an hour out of Austin and have some friends at church who bought chicks this year at a feed store in Austin. They started out with eight and have only one left. Their 9 year old saw one of them die and said it kind of coughed and just fell over dead. Wonder if they're all from the same hatchery... They don't have these chicks with their three adult hens so they haven't lost any of them.

Sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by