I need some help ruling this out

ChickenGeek_101

Songster
Dec 7, 2017
The other day I found one of my hens fluffed up and sleeping in the middle of the day. I picked her up to check her out and noticed her crop was mushy. I separated her, gave her food and water. she drank normally and was fine afterwards. The next day she look/acted normal. The next day she came out ate breakfast and died later in the afternoon. since then I have lost another hen and a duck. Neither of them showed any symptoms, they were just fine one day and gone the next.
😭
😭
what can I do for the rest of my flock? Any ideas as to what it might be?
I'm so worried I'm gonna loose another one. I've already searched coccidiosis but the symptoms didn't line up. I'm also looking into how much it will be to get a necropsy done here in case I loose another one.

thanks in advance! God bless!!

Poisoning. Coccidiosis. A very virulent bacterial infection from eating rotten or contaminated things from a compost pile. Moldy feed. Just a few.

I advise you to locate a state lab by calling your university extension office and get a necropsy done ASAP. You have something killing your birds and you need answers. Waiting and haggling over price while more birds die will cause you to hate yourself for not getting right on this.

The cost will not be more than $100 for a necropsy, maybe more if they need to do bacterial tests on tissue samples. It's worth it, believe me. I just had one done last week, and though I'm not rolling in money, the peace of mind knowing what it is I'm dealing with is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom