I need some help to identify my rooster.

chickenkeeper97

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Florida
I have two of these that were given to us. They are almost identical and very large. Only six months old, they already weigh 5-6 lbs.each, and have enormous 7-point combs. We are keeping them warm at night but they came to us with some frost damage to the comb. Their legs are dark yellow. Any help is appreciated.

I agree with you both after looking at your link. Thank you very much for the help, we've only been doing chickens for about 2 years so still have lots to learn. I wonder if they produced chicks with my ameraucana's , how they would turn out. Would those chicks lay blue or brown eggs?

I wonder if they produced chicks with my ameraucana's , how they would turn out. Would those chicks lay blue or brown eggs?

They would lay green eggs. You could also end up with brown and pink layers- even blue. I don't fully understand it. You would not get dark olive green though, for that you would need chocolate eggers like marans and welsummers. there is even a name for these ameraucana crosses- easter eggers!!! They are also called rainbow layers. Hatcheries sell them as americanas, araucanas, ameraucana/araucanas. Araucanas are a separate breed of their own. they also sell them as ameraucanas, though they are only PART ameraucana. Easter eggers are great birds. I just love them!!!

Thanks again for the help. I can only hope if I get EE's out of the mix that the eggs would be larger than what my ameaucana currently produce. Not that they aren't very tasty.

your ee's should have better laying capabilities and larger eggs than the ameraucanas with the addition of the ambers. that's is why hatcheries breed them rather than pure ameraucana- more eggs = more chicks for sale. It should be an interesting project- I wonder what they will look like. I think you might come up with some pretty unique chickies!!! It's always a surprise with ee's.

Back
Top Bottom