I need some help

RDFarms

Songster
5 Years
Apr 8, 2016
My bantam hen just hatched 5 baby chicks this morning. I put them on a small old rug, because I have heard that the chicks should be on something besides chick bedding untill a certain age. I have forgotten what age that is. Could someone please tell me what it is?

Thanks,RDFarms

My bantam hen just hatched 5 baby chicks this morning. I put them on a small old rug, because I have heard that the chicks should be on something besides chick bedding ????I never heard this before. Chicks can go on bedding when dried and running around.untill a certain age. I have forgotten what age that is. Could someone please tell me what it is?

Thanks,RDFarms

No that's wrong. Chicks can go on bedding any time. I put mine on pine shaving at a day old.this will help them. Nothing slick. No newspapers.

I have to agree with the other posters. You don't want them on anything slick like paper. Also I've heard hay is not good it can be moldy too easiily. When I get mine through the mail I take them out and put them into the fine pine shavings and have never had a problem. Good luck with your chicks. Enjoy them.

My hatcher has paper towels on the bottom. I've had a few chicks hatch with mild spraddle leg. My thought had been to watch them and intervene/tape legs after a day or so if necessary. I move them to the brooder with pine shavings at 24-36 hours old, and by day 2-3 I can no longer tell which chicks had issues. I've always used shavings and never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom