1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RDFarms, Jul 29, 2016.

1. RDFarms

RDFarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    My bantam hen just hatched 5 baby chicks this morning. I put them on a small old rug, because I have heard that the chicks should be on something besides chick bedding untill a certain age. I have forgotten what age that is. Could someone please tell me what it is?

Thanks,RDFarms

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

3. kbky1973

kbky1973 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    No that's wrong. Chicks can go on bedding any time. I put mine on pine shaving at a day old.this will help them. Nothing slick. No newspapers.

4. 2 Russo Chicks

2 Russo Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    Cookeville, TN
    I have always put chicks on pine shavings. We just had 7 hatch in pine shavings two days ago. I have never heard of or had problems with pine shavings.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    What you heard is right, kbky1973 is right "not on newspaper or anything slick"

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I put mine on shavings as soon as the arrive as day old or if I hatched them as soon as they are dry. No problems at all.

7. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I have always put mine on shavings as well and they do just fine

8. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    I have to agree with the other posters. You don't want them on anything slick like paper. Also I've heard hay is not good it can be moldy too easiily. When I get mine through the mail I take them out and put them into the fine pine shavings and have never had a problem. Good luck with your chicks. Enjoy them.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My hatcher has paper towels on the bottom. I've had a few chicks hatch with mild spraddle leg. My thought had been to watch them and intervene/tape legs after a day or so if necessary. I move them to the brooder with pine shavings at 24-36 hours old, and by day 2-3 I can no longer tell which chicks had issues. I've always used shavings and never had an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by