I need some help..

laceynoelle

I am Batman
12 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Reno
We have a brood of muscovies with a mama duck, hatched out by her and everything. Theyre probably a month old or so. They lived in an enclosed area, away from predators, etc. Now the ducklings keep dying, and I cant figure out why. There arent any marks on them, they just lay down and die in a process that take only a couple hours. This morning the ones that were left were doing great, and now theres another little weak guy.
Ive raised chickens for a while, so i have some poultry experience. We also rescued a couple wild mallard ducklings two years ago and raised them fine. Whats different about these ones? They look completely healthy. We bought them from a lady who was downsizing her flock, but the conditions were good there. If anyone needs any info i havent thought of, go ahead and ask. Thanks peeps.

Are they getting vitamins, electrolytes and minerals? A vitamin deficiency can be deadly to young ducklings. Vitamin B3 seems to be the most important one, and non of the commercial feeds have enough of them. It could be something else, but most of the time it is just this. Go to the feed store and get a vitamin electrolyte mix for birds. I would also put them on an extra niacin (vitamin B3) a regiment for 10 days. That you can get at Walmart in the vitamin section. You will need 100mg per 1 gallon of drinking water. Don't worry if your other birds drink it too. Wont harm them. Niacin works fast and it stop the problem within 48 hours. It that doesn't stop it then you are looking at some viral or bacteria problem, or perhaps some sort of poison which need a vets attention.

Last edited:
Thanks you so much!! I'll do that. Thats probably it, because i honestly cant think what else it would be besides some sort of vitamin thing.

You know I'm thinking that is it too. Part of the reason is that ducks are more immune to all kind of things then chicken. Their higher body temp helps them, plus with all the stuff they are stuffing into their face. If it is something viral or bacterial I would think all your other birds are having it too. Duck need so much niacin in comparison, and they get really sick if that is missing.

Back
Top Bottom