I Need Some Input in RE: chickens....

Daizy

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
I know nothing much about chickens. I am actually more familiar with ducks. And we are currently planning on getting ducks again.
This is the situation: we have a neigbhor behind us who is in a nutshell, a major jerk!! He is in his mid 20s, doesn't work and is living in mommy's trailer. She lives out of state, and this was a rental property. She had him move in because in the last 4 yrs she had six different tenants who according to her "were bad". Most of them were. But her place is in disrepair. Anyway, he had a dog which he didn't take care of. I reported him to spca who eventually after two months took the dog. Now he has chickens. Two hens and a rooster. Dont know what breed they are. Our covenant says NO POULTRY. I dont have an issue with the chickens. I have an issue with him, because like the dog, he's an "occasional" feeder. He feeds them when he feels up to it. the dog would go days without food. Okay. I can clearly see the chicken coop from my back door, its only perhaps 40 feet away. They had a heat lamp set up constantly on which was plugged into an indoor extension cord, drapped over wire fencing, and plugged into an outdoor extension cord and going through a window. It remained on 24/7 for three weeks and apparently has burnt out. They look like full grown chickens so I dont know why he would have a heat lamp 24/7 on them. I could clearly see into the feeder the level of food. It went empty and stayed empty for five days. Until he refilled it. I cannot see the water container as its blocked by tarp he put over one side of the coop.
I spoke with another neighbor who is the only person who has contact with the mother (and is friends with her) who owns that property and she got upset with me and said "HE'S ALLOWED TO HAVE HENS, JUST NO ROOSTER!!" So I politely reminded her what the covenant says and that when we wanted ducks she informed us of the no poultry rule. (By the way, we did get the covenant and it does say no poultry). By like I said, I have no issues with the chickens. So I figure, if he has them, and no one is going to put a fuss up especially our other neighbor, I am going to get my DUCKS and she'll have to reason to gripe because Ill remind her of her double standard.

I just need some input as far as the chickens go. I know if I call the spca back (Ive already informed them he's gotten chickens) to let them know they are out of food, I know at some point he'll refill the feeder and they probably wont do anything because as far as they are concerned, they may consider it "he's feeding them". Even though the poor things go without food for days.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd get your ducks and leave him alone. I know its hard when there's neglect involved, but if you have his birds taken away he'll probably just return the favor by pressing the fact that your covenant says no poultry. Get your ducks and enjoy them, if he or his mom hassle you about them tell them you'll get rid of your ducks when he gets rid of his chickens. Good luck, this is why I have no desire to deal with an HOA and all of their rules!

Back
Top Bottom