I need some opinions

Viksceeks

Songster
May 5, 2019
Eastern WA
I bought what I thought was cornish x from a local farmer that gets bulk orders monthly. The hatch date was 7/13, I bought them 7/18. I've had 3 die so far and they are so small!! I'm free feeding 18% start. They don't eat like cornish x, much like normal chicks. I bet they go through less than 2-3 cups of feed a day. There's 11 as of today
This is my second time raising them, at this point they were already starting to feather out and big

20200809_182044.jpg
20200809_182016.jpg

They do look like cornish cross. The 18% feed can't be helping you out any in terms of the growth rate. they would do better on 21 or 22%. I feel like if you had gotten them from a feed store or something, they might be the wrong breed, but since you bought them from a local person who was buying bulk cornish crosses there's very little chance that you didn't get the right birds. There are also different varieties of cornish cross and you may have gotten a slower grower than you did before, but my guess is the protein % of the feed is what's causing the slow growth.

Is that a current picture? If so that is awfully small for an almost 4 week old CornishX. Maybe they are slow grow white broilers? I've never raised those, so not sure of their growth rate. I think maybe @Compost King has worked with them.

The ones I am raising now I fed 18% feed for the first 3 weeks and they were definitely bigger than these guys. I prefer to use 25% but with CX appetites they will get large on 18% provided its not rationed. So I wouldn't say its the feed. Maybe they are leghorns? They develop fast like CX but they never get very big. Thats my guess from the little info I picked up from here.

This is a picture of my last batch of cornish x at about 5 days older than my current batch now. They look nothing similar to me
20200413_110918.jpg

Is that a current picture? If so that is awfully small for an almost 4 week old CornishX. Maybe they are slow grow white broilers? I've never raised those, so not sure of their growth rate. I think maybe @Compost King has worked with them.
Yes the first picture is current...I really think they're a laying breed. They're much more active (until they die😑), don't eat much at all and the legs are skinny
I've also never lost so many chicks before. I know it's only 3, but still a lot for me because I view it as my family's food
These were also the last of the batch he had because a skunk wiped out a few 100. So there's no way to really tell if the others are different

The ones I am raising now I fed 18% feed for the first 3 weeks and they were definitely bigger than these guys. I prefer to use 25% but with CX appetites they will get large on 18% provided its not rationed. So I wouldn't say its the feed. Maybe they are leghorns? They develop fast like CX but they never get very big. Thats my guess from the little info I picked up from here.
To be honest, I don't remember the percentage. It might even be more, it's purina flock raiser starter. They free feed since day 1, and at this point I was rationing feed with the others. I think they're a leghorn too. I have 5 leghorns that are 4months old, and the growth is all too similar

To be honest, I don't remember the percentage. It might even be more, it's purina flock raiser starter. They free feed since day 1, and at this point I was rationing feed with the others. I think they're a leghorn too. I have 5 leghorns that are 4months old, and the growth is all too similar

Can you ask the person you got them from if they re having a similar problem with the same batch? And how those birds look?

Back
Top Bottom